Will Blink cloud storage continue to be free?

Just saw that Blink Mini will be offered later this month, and I’m excited for the product. Until I read this:

“Blink Mini includes a free trial of the Blink cloud storage subscription through December 31, 2020.”

Does this mean we will have to pay for cloud storage in the future?

Keep on reading. The details are in other new threads here, the buy products tab, as well as amazon.

+1
Joined the forum specially to ask this question.

Surely it can’t be fair (or legal?) If that’s the plan? I didn’t invest significant ££ in 6 blink cameras to suddenly have to pay a monthly fee so I can use them!

Do what I mentioned above and you’ll have your answer.

1 Like

I got the same email stating I am a valued existing customer and will require no subscription for the Blink Mini and will get FREE cloud storage. Now, I’m being told that the so called free storage is a free trial subscription for the rest of the year. I told the customer service person the email said “no subscription required”. He then stuttered unbelievably trying to walk back that it’s not really a subscription, but a free trial. Blink is doing a bait and switch. Completely false advertisement.

https://support.blinkforhome.com/mini/blink-mini-storage-options?from_search=46944378

I doubt that they are doing bait and switch, it’s much more likely that the support agent you spoke to is incompetent. Many reports of same in this forum, along with many glowing reports of fantastic service. Sadly it seems to be a trend of less and less good reports, more recently.

Anyway, it’s in writing, on the page ceedee linked. For the record, I have pasted the key text below, so that the link can’t automagically disappear, if and when they try the switch.

“*New customers are those who created an account after April 15, 2020. Any accounts that were created before April 16, 2020 will receive standard cloud minutes that do not expire with their Blink Mini in exactly the same way as their existing camera systems.”

I’ve also talked to Amazon customer service about this and they are just as oblivious or covering up for their subsidiary Blink company emails being sent out that are falsely advertising a free service.

How is it false advertising? It states clearly on their website that you get permanent free storage, as ceedee linked, if you use them on the same account that you’ve had in place prior to April 16 2020.

Are you saying that you’ve now bought one, and you’ve had to take out a subscription, or put in payment details, for when the free period runs out?

Just because certain support representatives are unaware, including whoever you spoke to at Amazon, doesn’t mean you won’t get it on an on-going basis. If anyone with an existing account, gets charged, or loses their storage, come the time, then Blink will be on a really sticky wicket. It’s crystal clear, on their website.

I am seeing nothing in that link that substantiates what you claim.

I posted the actual text, in my previous reply.

That text is nowhere in that link.

It was, a moment ago. Glad I copied it, lol.

Bait and switch

*New customers are those who created an account after April 15, 2020. Any accounts that were created before April 16, 2020 will receive standard cloud minutes that do not expire with their Blink Mini in exactly the same way as their existing camera systems.

Oh look, there it is again.
EDIT: And here, as it looks in my browser.

I certainly hope this is true. Like I mentioned, I’ve talked to several Amazon representatives and Blink representatives, even escalated to “managers” who are oblivious to this and were frankly having a “Sucks to suck” attitude. They pretty much denied my email existed even after offering to forward it to them.

I bought an XT2 this month, ie after the mid-April cut off date

Does this really mean I’ll have to pay for additional storage if I add a Blink Mini to my system?? Why can’t I use the storage I have with my XT2 for both, capped at the same storage limit?

Seems like shameless profiteering if so and will prevent me from buying more blink products — but was hoping someone could tell me that I have misunderstood?

The continued free storage is a loyalty perk for long term customers. Not new customers.

Don’t want to pay for cloud storage? Buy sync module 2 when it comes out. It has on board local storage.

I am aware of the local storage option, but that will double the price before you even sort out a USB stick. I think this will really put people off buying the Mini. If you already have cloud storage from an XT2, doesn’t make sense that you can’t share it with the Mini.