At this point of time I am not completely sure what is my biggest issue with Blink XT, wifi issues or support provided. Each one deserves it’s own chapter.
But lets begin with Wifi. I have 5 blink xt cameras with full wifi bars. Also excellent connectivity to sync module.
Once in a while cameras unable to live stream (or to make recording after motion detection). Later (maybe next click, maybe 5 minutes later) they will work. At any given time some cameras are working and some might not.
As background for this: networking is my job for past 20 years. Systems that I wrote run in telecom operators. I have at home network setup that works perfectly for other 50 devices, out of which 35 are wireless and include not only “usual” stuff but also a few ip cameras that more then half a decade old, robot vacuums, sensors, terrarium (it can stream video from inside without problems) and automatic cat toilet (no video streaming in this one, if you wonder).
Out of all this zoo of devices the only thing that doesn’t work it’s security cameras by Blink. Kinda ironic, ain’t ?
As support (both phone and email) was less then helpful I decided to try to figure out issue myself. It looks like sometimes, from some reason Blink cameras can’t complete three way handshake. In other words it wont answer to SYN-ACK sent by blink server and will just keep on sending SYN till it gives up.
Is there any chance that there is anybody in Blink support (or maybe engineering) who knows what is three way handshake and interested in troubleshooting the issue ? I guess I am not the only one with random wifi issues based on reviews or community boards.
As of now I am trying to decide, should I go and buy cc3100r1 evaluation board upon which Blink XT is built and debug issue myself and then send solution to Blink R&D or go and buy Arlo setup, because I kinda gave up on support.
Which brings me to support issue: it’s worst support that I ever had. I am not sure if they are told to lie to the clients by generic script or they improvise on spot, but such amount of nonsense i didn’t receive even from comcast.
I went through few “troubleshooting” processes which included installing app on my phone that made network tests and some that wasn’t including it. Feedback that i got is that I have multitude of issues in my networking including
- it seems that the device is trying to connect to a mesh or merged network which may or may not work. If you are connected to a merge network then it has to be split (what is meged network ? and i dont have mesh at home)
- extreme amount of access points showing on that may cause the signal to get lost in all that translation ( what ? translation ?)
- Based on the traffic dump you send us, we do see the looping. (i did sent traffic dump displaying error, but “looping” ?)
- Based on the dump files you send, that identifies that this is likely either firewall or some type of IP filtering causing the system to time out ( I dont have firewall/filtering blocking camera. also why it wont work now but will work in 5 sec if there is firewall that blocks.)
- We’ve also check the status of the camera and it does not show any indication or even an error code that would lead us to identify that it is a device issue. (now, this is just lie. camera couldnt sent anything outside when it was sent to me)
- This has been also escalated to our server team and that is what they see as well. (server team cant see issue that happens ON camera)
- Something to be aware is it is indicating network command issues coming from the sync module and the wireless router. (can somebody translate it to english ? what is “network command issues”)
- It is indicating network command concerns. I would recommend reaching out to your local service provider as a next step due to this concern. (network command concerns ?)
- You are receiving DNS issues Debug wifi configuration multiple times. Debug WiFi configuration. (nope. no dns issues unless all of sudden google dns and cloudflare dnses started to fail. And yes, i’ll debug wifi configuration multiple times. with debugger).
Maybe this kind of random mix of words acceptable for somebody who has no clue how things are working but the assumption that it’s possible to communicate to client in such way is frankly insulting.