WI-FI distance

I would like to know how far from the router will the wi-fi work on the XT camera’s. I know that I can walk around my house and still be connected to the wi-fi on my phone, so I assume the camera will work just fine?

From the support page:

What is the range of the Sync Module? How far away can camera units be placed?

Assuming a fairly standard home (single building, no unusually dense construction materials), the Sync Module should be able to communicate with Blink units up to (and perhaps over) 100’ away in any direction.

Yeah if I put my sync module next to my router. So the camera should work like my phones range? The placement of the camera would even be closer to the house than I sometimes walk with my phone and it still works.

1 Like

It’s a little hard to say. The fact that your phone gets a wifi signal in the area where you intend to put your camera is encouraging, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that your camera will have a good enough wifi connection to actually work well.

If it turns out you don’t have a good wifi signal, you can always add a wifi repeater in between your router and camera.

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

Debbie, ive found that the reception in the XT, signal wise is poor compared to a cellphone. Day and dusk are beautiful. Night is …well, a nightmare for me!!! Check out the thread we have entitled “lines terrible” let us know how your xt cameras work at night and what signal they have etc.

I’ve had no XT camera signal issues so your mileage may vary. Don’t take any one persons word as gospel on here there are so many variables at play such as the construction or your house, the positioning of the cameras, the antenna array on your router, wifi interference from neighbors etc.

1 Like

I haven’t bought it yet. I like to do research first on anything I plan to buy. I do it for electronics, appliances, tv’s…etc

Even if my reception isn’t the best, wouldn’t a range extender work? Lee, that’s odd that you have problems at night. I would of imagine that would be the better time since not too much goes on internet. I know my internet runs faster in my area, I’m supposed to get 60mbps and really I get 70.96 mbps. So maybe my reception might be better. I will check that thread out though. Thanks

I understand that, like I said I’m doing research first. I think I might be ok, if my speeds I get are higher than what I’m supposed to get, I was thinking the same thing about neighbor interference. I know the neighbor we share the driveway with doesn’t use wi-fi cause the boy sometimes ask if he can connect to mine. Also I know a few across the street don’t even have internet. I also just upgraded my router. I’m really leaning towards buying this but the only thing that would really sealed the deal if that new sync module coming out was able to be purchased separately. I am concerned about the power going out and not having the wi-fi.

I’m sure Blink will make the new sync module available separately at some point but it will come with that 9.99 a month fee for the cellular back up portion. You should be able to use it as a regular sync module just with battery back up if you choose to forego the monthly fee. However I am not sure how Blink will implement the new sync module, so by all means take everything I say with a grain of salt as I do not work for Blink. Right now I already have battery back up for my sync modules, routers and modem, I purchased a low power draw UPS for about $40 on Amazon, they work great.

Do you have to have a battery backup for each unit or does the one cover all?

I have two because I have two sync modules and routers placed strategically in my home
Here is a link to the UPS I purchased

APC Back-UPS Connect UPS Battery Backup for Echo and Network Routers (BGE70) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KH07WRC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_2oYRzbMGA4ABR

1 Like

Ok another question. Would I need 2 with my setup. I have a router, modem and then if I get this unit the sync module. Cause if the power goes out the modem won’t work either. I would be placing the sync module next to my router.

Most people have a single router setup , some have two sync modules on one router but most have a single sync module. Without knowing anything about your house, size and construction and where you plan to place your cameras etc I can’t say if you’d need two sync modules or not. I’d start with one first and see how it works for you. If you use more than one sync module to use battery back up on both sync modules you’d need two UPS devices as the sync modules will be in different parts of your home

1 Like

FYI the (download) speed of your internet connection doesn’t have anything to do with wifi signal strength, or whatever it is that’s causing the problem some are experiencing with lines in their camera images (which Blink engineers are apparently looking into).

1 Like

I know that, I said I get those speeds so I probably get good distance too cause there seems to be no interference here. But if it’s in the camera wiring well then that’s different.

Still not seeing how the two are related, but whatever it doesn’t really matter.

One other thing you might consider is not putting the sync module right next to your router as you mentioned you plan to. There’s no particular reason why you’d have to, the sync module itself connects to the router with wifi and only needs to be wired for power. Just something to consider if the sync module’s connection to the camera isn’t great (since that’s not a wifi connection, it’s using a different wireless protocol on another frequency).

If you decide to purchase the camera, let us know how it’s going.

I find the 100’ limit a bit challenging.

Blink may have to re-think the sync module, for larger homes are houses built with solid concrete. I have concrete walls in my house and have wired repeaters all over the house. The cameras all get great wifi signal from the wifi repeaters and so does the sync module. You would think that since everybody gets great wifi signal that everything would be fine. Unfortunately thats not the case. Apparently all the cameras have to find the sync module and the sync modules own wifi signal is overall poor and would need its own wifi repeater or signal booster for the connection to be better. Example, all my camera’s and tye sync module all have 5 bars for wifi. But the camera’s to the sync module for me at most have 3 bars, most of them have only 2 bars, which makes the commands to camera slow and a lot of times fail, and sometimes unable to watch live view.

The good part is that once it syncs the clips are uploaded to the cloud, which is a fast server so watching the clips over a good wifi is easy and pretty much seamless.

To me this is a great product however I would try to make the camera’s indepent of the sync module, that way you only have to worry about a good wifi signal and not wether or not your sync module can see the cameras as well!!

Blink, you have a good product however the sync module to me is major flaw. Please make a better sync module or get rid of it.

Suggestion: Try to program sync module so that information is sent via wifi signal and eliminate the need for the sync modules to see each camera directly.

1 Like

I’ve seen posts where people are able to repeat the sync module signal.

another quick fix is to buy a stand alone sync module on ebay for like $20, and place that in the area of concern. This would also grant you additional cloud storage.

This is all just a bandaid, though.