Why won't my camera sensor pick up movement?

I have a camera pointing down at my front lawn to try to catch when people let their dogs crap on my front lawn. I positioned it so it shows the lawn and sidewalk as well as my driveway on the right side. I just had someone pull into my driveway, walk across the sidewalk/lawn and up to my door and the camera picked up nothing and when they walked back to their car along the same route it still didn’t pick them up (my porch camera picked them up when they walked away from my door back to their car). Yet if a vehicle catches the very tip corner of the camera in the street it sets it off so I know it’s not a sensitivity issue.

3 Likes

It might help to reposition or tilt your camera so that it’s getting less of your bushes and do a test walk afterwards to make sure it captures what you want. Try positioning your camera at an angel in the direction you get the most foot traffic and see if you get better results. Like further to the left or right of where you have it now. Also, try switching the position of the cameras you have outside to see if your getting the same issue. if all else fails then record your unit malfunctioning and start a support ticket. Hope this helps?

1 Like

I had an issue where I could literally walk up to my brand new camera and wave my hand 2 feet from it and it wouldn’t pick up motion. Called tech support and they gave me some BS excuse that it was poor wifi connection that it wasn’t stable had me rename my wifi extender to the same name as my normal network. I did everything he told me to and nothing worked. I swapped in a new camera and everthing works fine. Believe it or not it can just be a faulty unit.

I assume the camera is outside and not inside as the motion sensor doesn’t work through glass.

2 Likes

It’s gotta be a faulty sensor because it literally is only picking up motion at the very top of the screen. I’ve walked by the camera multiple times and it won’t click on but a vehicle passing in the very top corner sets it off. I’ve event tried moving it to a different position but it won’t capture any motion in the bottom 2/3 of the camera.

And yes the unit is outside and not behind a window.

Have someone record the malfunctioning camera and start a ticket with blink support. That makes it a lot quicker process with blink and if you got it from Amazon or another place you can also replace the camera through them. Last question, you are getting 3 bars from camera to wifi and camera to sync module, if so camera issue it is. Hope you get it resolved quickly.

Thanks for all the help. I’ve started a ticket but I am unsure how to record the camera malfunction if it’s malfunction is it’s not recording. I can’t view the camera’s feed and have it record at the same time which is one of my feedback issues I hope they change with the system in the future.

Also I have both three bars for the camera to module and camera to wifi.

Use a cell phone to record, blink has a light on it that shows when it records. If you have not turned it off.

I’m glad I’m not the only one having issues. Your symptoms are exactly what I am experiencing. Someone recently broke into my house 2days ago and the cameras didn’t record anything ! I’ve very disappointed in these cameras.

2 Likes

I recently installed 5 cameras around the house. After selecting “Armed” they were recording well, for a day. I haven’t been able to get a recording since then.
Damn tech is supposed to make life easier. Maybe a watchdog would be better?

2 Likes

can you post a screenshot of the settings of one of the cameras in question?

Here you go. I hope you can help.

Motion Detection is clearly disabled.

3 Likes

1 Like

Yea these camera suck what’s the point of having a system that doesn’t record ■■■■

1 Like

Had my camera for a almost a year now and it stopped picking up motion. All other features worked.

Battery said “OK”. However, when I removed them and put them back in, the motion sensor started working again.

Could be a fluke. Could be the weather. Hope this helps.

1 Like

I doubt it was the weather and probably not a fluke. What you did by pulling and reinserting the battery was to reset the camera. However, the cause of your problem was/is most likely weak batteries. The battery indicator in the app is notoriously inaccurate. When it happens again just replace the batteries. Good luck!

2 Likes

You are absolutely right! Shortly after inserting the same batteries back in, The blink app informed me the batteries were low!

1 Like

I installed new batteries just under a year. Then they recorded when they felt like it. I removed batteries and reinstalled. Then after 2 months three cameras will not record movement.

Welcome to the forums! If all your signal strengths are ok (sync to wifi, cam to sync & wifi) then it sounds like you need batteries. Be sure you are using the required lithium batteries. Let us know how you make out.