Waterproof

Purchased a Blink Outdoor Camera and had it mounted on my house overlooking my driveway. Clearly the application it is advertised for. In fact the description on the Amazon site says * Outdoor is built to withstand the elements to help you protect your home inside or out, come rain or shine." The camera has stopped working and when I went to change the batteries, the camera was full of water. I contacted Blink and the response was “Outdoor cameras are IP65 rated, which means it is water resistant, not water proof, there’s a certain amount of water that the cameras can withstand, but there is still a chance that water can penetrate it if it’s enough pressure. You need to secure the camera as well where it will not get much rain water or at least a shed that would prevent it from a direct sunlight/rain.” So apparently is is just the opposite of the description at point of purchase. They will do nothing to make it right. I can’t invest any more money into a company like this.

Based on reading many posts in the forum, over a couple of years, or more, I would say your experience is atypical.

There are a lot of forum users, and if this were common, there would be many posts of same, yet there are almost none. We sometimes read of misting, but almost invariably this is on the outside, in cold damp conditions, which is to be expected when the conditions are right.

I feel you’ve been harshly done to by support, if you didn’t have it in a place where it could literally fill with water, and end up being submerged, and you mounted it the right way up. IP65, clearly advertised, cannot stand immersion, but it should cope with rain, direct or otherwise. You couldn’t, for example, sit it in a gutter, that may fill with water, but you should be able to fit it to a wall, or a tree, where it would get rained on, as long as the top was at the top.

If you correctly fastened the enclosure, didn’t mount it where water could pool and it was the right way up, I would suggest you are most definitely entitled to a replacement.

That having been said, and annoying though it is, maybe just drying it out will restore operation. I once left a model radio transmitter outside all night, on its back, and it completely filled with water. I dried it out completely, then sprayed it with contact cleaner, and let that evaporate before reassembly, and it is still functioning correctly, after a further 10 years.

On the other hand, I changed the battery on my Samsung Galaxy S7, a difficult job, and almost impossible to achieve the water resistant rating again. Afterwards, I dropped it in the river when fishing but I got it out really quickly, shook it dry and turned it off. I then took it apart again, at home, and thoroughly dried it. It was wet inside. All now works, and has for several months, apart from two sensors on the front, which I’ve read is common, after submersion, even for new S7s. I can live with it, as there is a software equivalent for those sensors, but the point was only that electronics doesn’t always withstand water ingress, without issue.

Maybe you’ll be lucky, maybe not, but if it were me, and I felt I’d done nothing wrong in how I’d deployed it, I would be writing to Blink, almost without end. I have a lot of time, and they would find that out. I do realise this would not apply to many.

If you do get it dry, and it works, take a little silicone grease, and wipe it around the seal before sealing it up again. Whilst doing so, carefully inspect the seal for issues.

Can’t blame you for not investing further, after an experience like that, but maybe you just had a one off, badly assembled, and if you can get them to replace it, all should be well.

Write to the director of customer services, and ask him if he thinks you’ve been treated fairly. Search the forum for his contact details, and good luck.

By the way, a negative review on Amazon, to the same effect, would have a much bigger impact, and reach a larger audience, than your post in here. With it being likely to pose a risk to sale, you may find you get a better response from Blink by doing so, if they actually allow you to post it?

1 Like

Hundreds of thousands of Blink cameras working outside in the elements. Cold, hot, thunderstorms, blizzards, etc. No problems with camera full of water. You got a defective camera or you were in a situation of heavy wind driven rain filled up the camera, or you have an operator error problem.

You the owner of the camera had to install the batteries when it was new. If you didn’t get the back on tight enough, it wasn’t water resistant and filled up with water. You’re not the first customer that made that mistake. However, Blink support doesn’t want to play the game of calling their customers out for operator error. So they played the IP65 game.

I agree with them both. It’s unfortunate. I have had many cameras outside for years without issue. You unfortunately may have not secured the back battery compartment. Sorry for your loss of confidence in the cameras.