Sync Module - WiFi Network

My cameras stopped syncing so I decided to delete them and add them back. Then my sync module stopped communicating, so I deleted that and adding back in. I’m getting a notification that Blink wants to join wifi Network 0940. Why would I want to join an unsecure network when my wifi-router are working just fine and I have full bars on my phone and have internet with no issues. My module is blinking blue and solid green. I just want to connect it to my wifi and not an obscure one. Anyone else get that `notification when setting up the module?

The sync module needs to connect to your WiFi router, in order for the system to work. Your sync module needs the SSID and password of your WiFi network so that it can log in successfully. Until you connect your phone directly to the sync module, the strange network you mentioned, there is no way for you to get that information to the sync module. As such, you have to first make a connection directly to the sync module, using the phone’s WiFi. As soon as this connection is made, and the phone is connected directly to the sync module, you can give it those log in credentials. When it has the credentials, it disconnects from your phone, and attempts to reconnect to your WifI. When it connects to your WiFi, and it knows it has correct credentials, it can pass those to any cameras, as and when you set them up, so that they also have the correct credentials, and can also communicate directly with your router.

That is why you have to first connect with an unusual WiFi network, and it is the same for any internet of things item, or it has been in my experience.

sorry to resurrect this, but it’s the closest thread I can find…

I’m dependent on a mesh wifi network with thick stone walls taking 3 wifi units to get from one end of the house to the other. Typically I would like a camera at each end of the house.

I can’t work out the function of the sync module in the camera comms chain, (I understand it’s recording function though)
Does each camera need to be in direct (wifi) comms with a sync unit continually (after ‘pairing’) or can I add two cameras and a sync module, then have the cameras at either end of the existing wifi mesh, and the sync module elsewhere in the network?

thank you

There are three required connections, and all need to be good, at all times, for consistent and reliable operation.

Sync module to WiFi.
Camera to WiFi.
Camera to sync module. This is not WiFi, rather a proprietary low power radio signal, at a lower frequency than WiFi. Referred to as LFR by Blink, if it helps direct your search of the support site.

Signal strengths for all three can be found in the app. Select where is says sync module, under the camera thumbnails, for the sync module to WiFi strength. Select settings, of each camera, and scroll to the bottom, to see the other two.

thank you.
I haven’t bought anything yet, still investigating. I think I will need a Sync module per camera. :frowning:

Back in the good ol days of wifi people used external antennas along with plug in pcmcia wifi cards on their laptops There wasn’t cell/mobile wifi yet. There wasn’t built in wifi on computers and laptops. Tablets weren’t available yet. No USB Wifi dongles either.

Along with those external antennas, were programs to report on and tell you where you could get free wifi. Coffee shops, fast food places, shopping malls, etc. I used to use J-wire back in those days. Today a website called lifewire.com is quite similar. A lot of info regarding wifi can be learned.

Next up was how to measure the wifi signal. Pointing the antenna just so as well as finding a good wifi providor was the golden ticket. That signal trick was the better the signal, the faster you could transfer data. Oh so important back in the Napster days of downloading free MP3 music. So here we are 20 years after the Napster days and you have the same problem today. How to measure the strength and the direction of the wifi signal.

Well you are in luck! What worked back then, still works today. Now it’s easy. You can use your cell phone or tablet. Turn off mobile data. Turn on wifi. Download a mobile app for wifi signal measuring that shows location direction as well as strength. Pick one below. You’ll soon know how bad the thick cement walls problem really is.

Yes, you most likely will. If you get WiFi to each of your cameras, and check coverage, following Joel’s recent advice, there is no way to test the sync module signal strength, other than from what you see in the app.

I have three cameras at home, four elsewhere, and for the three at home, I have no easy choice other than to run a sync module for each camera.

UK loves stone and mortar for construction methods, even in private homes. I learned a few years ago there is no culture of tear it down and build a new one. You keep on fixing up what you have. Homes and buildings are 300 plus years old are the norm.

USA loves build it thin and cheap via pine wood stick frame, sheet rock walls, and vinyl no maintenance siding. Homes and buildings that are less than 100 years old get torn down all the time. Slap up a new one.

Blink being from USA acknowledges the thin wall vs. thick wall performance issue.

1 Like