Some additional requests and ideas

Hello,

I currently own 12 cameras (10 indoor, 2 XTs) and will probably expand that to 15 or so before I’m done, assuming Blink’s feature roadmap is favorable. I have a few feature questions/suggestions for you:

Questions

1. What was the logic on eliminating the Ethernet port on the sync module? I really would’ve preferred to have my sync modules hardwired into the network.
  2. Will the USB port on the sync module ever be enabled? I’d really like to be able to store video locally and the USB port (or the aforementioned Ethernet port) are necessary for that to happen. You guys have talked about the USB port ever since Blink was released and IMO, this feature is well overdue for implementation. Please make this a priority.

Suggestions

1. I understand there are limitations on the clip length due to the desire to save battery life. However, why can’t the Blink cameras detect that they’re receiving power from the wall and allow even longer or unlimited (obviously limited by storage) recording lengths? Even if the hardware can’t automatically detect wall power vs battery power, could an option be added to the camera config where you can tell the software it is receiving wall power?
  2. Manual recording - we really need the option to trigger manual recordings rather than have recordings only available on motion detection.
  3. Conversely, for those of us who integrate these cameras into our HA systems, it would be nice if we could use the devices as motion detectors WITHOUT triggering videos all the time. Maybe if the camera were disarmed, the motion sensor could still report motion events without triggering a recording?
  4. I like that Blink has released covers for the cameras, even though I think they may be a little too pricey for what you get. :slight_smile: Nevertheless, I have a suggestion - how about looking into covers which are paintable? The gray cover is probably close to what I need, but my home’s trim is a bluish-gray color and if I could just paint the cover to match, that would be perfect and as a bonus, increase the WAF (wife acceptance factor) for all of us HA nerds out there.
  5. Integration, integration, INTEGRATION - RBoy’s SmartThings integration is great. Please do not block it and IMO, you should be working with ALL of the HA platforms to get native integration. I’m not saying you have to do the actual work, but many of these platforms have talented folks like RBoy and if their integrations don’t cause undo strain or issues on your servers, you should allow and endorse them. Sorry, but IFTTT sucks and isn’t an acceptable integration path for many of us.
  6. PC viewer - you need to allow us to view videos view our PCs - either through a web-based portal (preferable) or even an app. Again, if you don’t have the time and resources to do it, there are a lot of talented folks out there who can.

Thanks

Hey @blanghorst,

In terms of the ethernet port, it didn’t match our “wireless” philosophy and caused a lot of confusion to many of our users. We’ve found that with this change, many users have had an improved onboarding experience.

After talking to our engineers, the USB port is still in our plans for future expansion. Because we are a small company, and have other really exciting projects we are currently working on, I do not yet have an ETA on that feature. We realize this is something many of our customers want, and I will keep you updated when I learn more!

I agree with Blink Cameras being able to detect wall power would be very useful, and have passed on the suggestion to our team I’m not sure what the implications are of including that feature, but it would definitely be beneficial!

Manual recording is another highly requested feature that I totally support! In terms of motion detection, what do you think about Blink releasing a separate motion sensor that isn’t a camera? I thought this could be a cool new product, and would likely be significantly cheaper than the Blink cameras.

In terms of painting the covers, I believe @lmosenko mentioned that latex paint should work on them… I haven’t tried this out though; great idea!

Being able to view Blink through a PC is also a highly requested feature from our users/customers. So i can give our team a better idea, what do you feel is lacking in only being able to view in mobile app? Is it just the convenience of being able to check on your computer?

Thanks for all the feedback!

Having an app for Windows would be a pluss, but if you could also introduce a secure URL to our account in order to view it in a browser would be Greate @nick_at_blink.

And pass through power is a greate feature for the cameras. I know this has been asked for. But, cna we have a way to use the USB on the sync module to connect a local storage drive for our clips?

2 Likes

Hey @blanghorst,

In terms of the ethernet port, it didn’t match our “wireless” philosophy and caused a lot of confusion to many of our users. We’ve found that with this change, many users have had an improved onboarding experience.

I understand, though I do disagree with that approach. Since the new sync modules don’t even have an Ethernet port, I suppose it is a moot point now.

After talking to our engineers, the USB port is still in our plans for future expansion. Because we are a small company, and have other really exciting projects we are currently working on, I do not yet have an ETA on that feature. We realize this is something many of our customers want, and I will keep you updated when I learn more!

I agree with Blink Cameras being able to detect wall power would be very useful, and have passed on the suggestion to our team I’m not sure what the implications are of including that feature, but it would definitely be beneficial!

Thanks! That would be great if possible, because we could have longer recording times if necessary.

Manual recording is another highly requested feature that I totally support! In terms of motion detection, what do you think about Blink releasing a separate motion sensor that isn’t a camera? I thought this could be a cool new product, and would likely be significantly cheaper than the Blink cameras.

To be honest, a standalone motion sensor would be pretty useless to me unless it is exceptionally cheap (under $20) and integrates with SmartThings. Otherwise, I can choose from one of any number of other motion sensors. The thinking about using the Blink camera’s motion detection capability as a motion sensor was to reduce the number of devices deployed and save a little money.

In terms of painting the covers, I believe @lmosenko mentioned that latex paint should work on them… I haven’t tried this out though; great idea!

Interesting, I may give this a shot.

Being able to view Blink through a PC is also a highly requested feature from our users/customers. So i can give our team a better idea, what do you feel is lacking in only being able to view in mobile app? Is it just the convenience of being able to check on your computer?

Viewing from a PC is much more convenient, especially while at work.

1 Like

Hey Blink community,

This is a great system and is very inspiring. So much so that I need this system to do so much more.
I have a problem I need a fix for. Please help and add some more products.
I searched for a similar post but this is all I could find. So i there was a fun way to add a key pad or way someone besides the main user could turn off the system would be great. So the 2nd user would not have access to the cameras but could come in and water plants, etc.
There are so many possibilities with this fun tech. Thanks.

Yes, you can do that by integrating Blink into SmartThings. In fact, I have exactly that - you can enter a code on a keypad and it disarms the cameras and other monitoring. I also have the system arm when the wife and I leave via presence sensing (using our cell phones as presence sensors) and if either of us come back, it disarms automatically.