I currently own 12 cameras (10 indoor, 2 XTs) and will probably expand that to 15 or so before I’m done, assuming Blink’s feature roadmap is favorable. I have a few feature questions/suggestions for you:
- What was the logic on eliminating the Ethernet port on the sync module? I really would’ve preferred to have my sync modules hardwired into the network.
- Will the USB port on the sync module ever be enabled? I’d really like to be able to store video locally and the USB port (or the aforementioned Ethernet port) are necessary for that to happen. You guys have talked about the USB port ever since Blink was released and IMO, this feature is well overdue for implementation. Please make this a priority.
- I understand there are limitations on the clip length due to the desire to save battery life. However, why can’t the Blink cameras detect that they’re receiving power from the wall and allow even longer or unlimited (obviously limited by storage) recording lengths? Even if the hardware can’t automatically detect wall power vs battery power, could an option be added to the camera config where you can tell the software it is receiving wall power?
- Manual recording - we really need the option to trigger manual recordings rather than have recordings only available on motion detection.
- Conversely, for those of us who integrate these cameras into our HA systems, it would be nice if we could use the devices as motion detectors WITHOUT triggering videos all the time. Maybe if the camera were disarmed, the motion sensor could still report motion events without triggering a recording?
- I like that Blink has released covers for the cameras, even though I think they may be a little too pricey for what you get. Nevertheless, I have a suggestion - how about looking into covers which are paintable? The gray cover is probably close to what I need, but my home’s trim is a bluish-gray color and if I could just paint the cover to match, that would be perfect and as a bonus, increase the WAF (wife acceptance factor) for all of us HA nerds out there.
- Integration, integration, INTEGRATION - RBoy’s SmartThings integration is great. Please do not block it and IMO, you should be working with ALL of the HA platforms to get native integration. I’m not saying you have to do the actual work, but many of these platforms have talented folks like RBoy and if their integrations don’t cause undo strain or issues on your servers, you should allow and endorse them. Sorry, but IFTTT sucks and isn’t an acceptable integration path for many of us.
- PC viewer - you need to allow us to view videos view our PCs - either through a web-based portal (preferable) or even an app. Again, if you don’t have the time and resources to do it, there are a lot of talented folks out there who can.