Solar panels

Has anyone bought the solar panels for the xt2? If so, are they worth buying?

1 Like

I got one from Amazon. It has a built-in battery that’s solar charged. Have had it for almost a year with zero issues.

Solar Panel Compatible with Blink… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JK3H4DD?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I was looking at the solar panel you mentioned on Amazon.

Does it really charge the battery? Or does it provide power during daytime and then the camera will continue on battery for the night?

What type of rechargeable battery do you have in your Blink camera?

At night do you see if your battery was replenished during the day time?

Best regards

Clement

No, it doesn’t charge the Blink camera batteries. First they are not rechargeable, and second, there is no charging circuitry in the camera. You can use certain types of rechargeable batteries in Blink cameras, taking them out to recharge, if you know what you are doing, and make your choice wisely, but even those with great expertise have only reported limited success. There are several reasons why, but no need to go into those here because there are plenty threads giving full details of the success or otherwise reported by those who have tried. In my opinion, if you take them out to recharge them, you might as well go for the longer lasting, Energizer ultimate lithium, which will give you much longer life than any rechargeable option you might try, and they’re not even expensive.

As for the solar panel, I haven’t looked at them in any detail, barely glanced, but if they refer to battery charging, they will most likely be referring to recharging an internal battery pack in the solar panel, so it can continue to provide the 5V required for the USB port of the Blink camera in the dark and on dull days, and to cover for periods of high demand.

Consider that you would have to optimise the mounting of the panel to maximise the time it points at the sun, and if you have weeks of bad weather, those internal rechargeable batteries will become depleted.

On the bright side, the Blink cameras can use both an external power source, and their internal batteries, at the same time, so when the external source fails, due to lack of sun, or too much demand, then the internal batteries will take over operation of the camera.

Clearly, running both like this will lower the demand on the internal batteries, and if you’re in a sunny spot, and position your panel well, they may never be needed, and they have a shelf life of 20 years, so they will be there for back up long after the panel and rechargeable battery in the panel has died, lol.

To me it seems though, if it’s worth trying to mount a panel, for good sun, and compromise the waterproof nature of the camera with a power lead, you might as well just run power to it and be done with it. That having been said, I realise there are always circumstances that could make providing power far more difficult. In those situations, I’ve just been living with changing the batteries every 6 months, at the worst for me, on my most active cameras.

I could change the batteries 10 or more times for the cost of most panels, lasting me at least 5 years, but it’s up to each individual, so just sharing the thoughts I’ve had on the subject.