Outdoor camera not waterproof

I have just compared the newer Blink outdoor camera alongside my existing Blink XT2 cameras and the rubber USB cover on the older models is far more water tight than the newer model.

On the older XT2 it is quite difficult to open the rubber covering but on the new model it comes away just by rubbing your finger over the top. This is why it lets water in when it rains.

Is this a design flaw, if not I expect you will receive a number of complaints as it is advertised as an outdoor camera.

I already had one replacement from Amazon but the USB covering is exactly the same and doesn’t appear water resistant at all.

This week a second newer model has let water in after an evening of rain so will be looking to sending this one back as well.

I have double checked my existing XT2 cameras and both a dry inside even though they are also outside in similar positions and I have had them for much longer.

Your the first to report water intrusion on the new outdoor camera. Its been out for months with thousands of them sold by now in multiple countries.

They are water resistant not water proof. Certainly not submersible. Bad batch maybe. Bad design nope as others would have complained long before you did.

Thanks for replying Joel. I am hoping it is a bad batch although I have purchased 3 from two different suppliers and 2 have now leaked. My original XT2s are still fine. The rubber USB cover on the replacement one I was sent still didn’t seem that secure compared to the XT2 and so I have installed that one inside.
Fully understand they are not submersible or waterproof but mine were attached to a garden fence.
I am hoping it is a bad batch but will be interested to see what my replacement will be like.

1 Like

all I have is original XT generation 1 so I can’t offer first hand option on the new stuff.

I’m in the process of returning my 3rd Blink Outdoor for water intrusion. Just got the RMA email for it this morning in fact. I currently have 10 Outdoors, got the first six Sept 14th the first day they were released on Amazon, got two more a week later on Sept 22nd, and two more Oct 13th. The two I got in October acted up almost immediately. One of them gave me a low battery message which was obviously suspicious since this was literally only about 3 weeks after activating those two, and before I even got home from work that night to address that, the other one just went off the grid, stopped communicating with the module after three weeks of trusty uneventful service. I dismounted both of them when I got home that night and opened them up figuring maybe just a battery pull (power cycle in their lingo) might do the trick for both of them and I’d be fine again. When I opened up the first one (the low battery message) to my surprise water poured out all over the table, it was soaked inside. We hadn’t gotten any rainfall in about 48hrs so this was lingering wetness inside. I kept it inside and let it dry out for a couple days before everything looked dried out again, loaded it with new batteries, no dice, it was dead, wouldn’t even power on. When I moved over to the other camera that went offline and opened that one up (over the sink this time, ain’t falling for the water surprise again) same thing happened, water was all over inside, to a lesser extent than the first one, but soaked nonetheless. That one also was unresponsive after drying out and installing new batteries. Needless to say I was not a happy camper. Luckily, they were barely still within the standard amazon return window so I said you know what screw it, instead of dealing with getting an RMA and all that I just went back to the Amazon order, clicked on “return item” same as if I was returning a book or a shirt, popped everything back into the original box (which luckily I kept) and fired it right back to them. I was up front with why I was returning them in the remarks. They happily issued a refund no questions asked and as soon as the refund hit I used it to order another set of two, which (so far) have been behaving fine since then. Now just this past Monday another camera started going berserk, repeatedly recording and sending notifications to our phones twice every minute constantly despite no motion in picture. I turned off the camera from the app to stop the constant recording and notifying and when I got home that night and attempted another battery pull to hopefully re-boot and reset it, once again soaked inside, with rust/corrosion on the battery and camera contacts, hinting at long-term presence of water inside (this was one of the “original six” cameras from September) Needless to say, not happy. I started the return procedure with Customer Service, granted them the account access they requested, and they came back with saying they concluded that it was likely “related to a hardware failure” (their words) and they issued an RMA which is in progress now. When I get the replacement I have to send the faulty one back with a provided prepaid label. I don’t want to count my chickens quite yet but even though it might take some time, at least so far through the process, they have been quite reasonable with the return process so I’m hopeful it will stay that way all the way through receiving the replacement. Fingers crossed. But I just wanted to contribute here in case it can help someone and count myself as someone that has also had problems (three times now) with water inside the Outdoor cameras. And now I’m going to be petrified any time I’m going to have to open up another one, whether for batteries or otherwise, out of fear they will be wet inside and not fire back up again like I’ve had happen alreadyt. I don’t want to have to go through this replacement process with regularity so I’m hoping I won’t have to, but my fear is that they may all have water or at least moisture inside them right now and it’s only a matter of time. I desperately want to be wrong about that, I guess I’ll find out later, hopefully much later! Sorry this was so long but I know that if I was going through this issue, I would’ve appreciated any help that was out there. Now that i have a little over a six-month body of work with my system and have experienced three seasons of Connecticut-weather outdoor use of them, I’m going to try to be more helpful on here with contributing instead of just lurking. Joel, your help and contributions on here are helpful and appreciated. I’ll try to do my part, too when I can. Simon, good luck in your future experience with your system. (The pictures attached here are from this past Monday night of the rust/corrosion I referred to. The camera contact looked a lot worse than you see it here because I had wiped a lot of the rust/corrosion off before the photo as I was trying to revive it and get it to power up again.)

I have given up on BLINK! It is a system that does not perform. I have had countless issues with the cameras, load time, etc. I am done wasting my money!

I am really hoping that the replacement I receive has a more secure USB covering, as I said on the original XT2 it is really difficult to prise open the covering( I struggle to do it with my fingernail) but on the new ones it just comes away so easily with minimal force. Here is a photo of my water logged newer camera after one evening of rain

1 Like

I’m going to go pull my outdoor down now and check it. It’s in a really exposed spot, though maybe not so much from the rear. I don’t know that I ever pulled the USB cover off, being as I wanted battery powered, but I will check. Like you, had no issues at all, in this regard, with my XTs and XT2s.

I know you shouldn’t have to, but if I see evidence of water ingress, I’m going to seal that with silicone, or similar, after a thorough drying. I think I already had it down, and opened it up with no issues, but I can’t be certain. If it’s dry, I should probably leave the USB bung well alone, but I’ll have to peel it out, just to see if it really is that bad.

All it would take to be badly sealed is a malformed USB bung, even if the cameras were formed correctly in that area.

1 Like

Well I was wrong about the back not being as exposed. My minds eye was not imagining it clearly. This camera is probably in the worst position I’ve got, in terms of weather and the back is more affected than the front. The wind and rain comes diagonally towards that top right hand corner of my shed, as is somewhat evidenced by the state of the siding nearby. That is the only point on the shed that is so affected. Clearly I’m going to have to do something about that, damn.

As for my camera, it was bone dry, and looks as new, inside, after months in that location, as you can see from the picture. The bung certainly opens more easily than on the XT2, but I wouldn’t say it seals any less well. Obviously I’m not an expert in water dynamics, but it looks like a well designed seal to my untrained eyes. If yours is leaking so badly from that area, inspect the hole in the camera back, and check that there is no flash. Mine was perfectly formed. Do the same with the bung, because if you spot something, it’s always nice to send support a picture of where you have identified a failure.

Good luck with it all.

If you use the USB port on any generation of the outdoor cameras, you just killed water resistant rating. And you killed totally wireless concept.

Buy something else!

Now be honest, for those with leaky generation 3 outdoor cams, did you mess with and/or open up and use the USB port to power the camera?

If you do, the water could literally flood in, just as it could if not correctly seated, but put it in such that both the inboard and outboard seals are as per my photo, and there is no error in manufacture, and I can’t see anyway in which it could leak. Seriously, if it were powered by cable, you might as well leave the back off, it would be that bad. It makes for a big hole, lol.

No.
Honestly.

No need to use the USB for any reason and not even used it. As said previously, I have 2 XT2 cameras and 2 newer model outside cameras and both the newer ones have leaked. All cameras mounted in similar positions around my house

I’ll go with bad batch then

Operator error for not getting the back on correct seems impossible. Yet it isn’t. There have been a few reports of xt1 and xt2 owners not pushing hard enough to totally seal unit. Not saying thats the problem here but it is something to be aware of.

My final thought is as of today, only a few people chimed in here. If it was a trend, .much less a design flaw, the online forums and social media would have exploded.

Really hoping you’re right Joel. Will wait and see what my replacement is like which I will hopefully receive in the next few days.

1 Like

Rumor has it dielectric grease keeps out water and prevents corrosion. Shouldn’t have to use it. But plan b comes in handy.

I have seen people complaining about the Metal screw rusting and corroding on the new Outdoors. You’d think they would make it stainless because it’s outdoor. I just got my first Outdoor to add to my current 4 x XT2s and so far so good. Mind you it’s under a covered awning. So not much worry for weather. I also have these guys on all my camears.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07FPBGSBS/?coliid=I2JBWXI4RS37KP&colid=3GQLYBU3H214I&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Mind you they don’t protect the back.

Never even crossed my mind that the screw would not be stainless. High quality chrome, like on a car bumper, can last an awful long time, even with British winters and road salt, but it sounds like it isn’t even of that quality, if there are already complaints of rust.

I wonder if people are damaging the screw, its protective coating, now we know it isn’t stainless, by using an inappropriate tool?

I hear you on the winters. I am in Canada and the salt, cold, snow can be harsh.
You make a good point, it’s possible people are not using the plastic provided angle tool and using a metal screwdriver and damaging the coating.