Only Records and Notifies AFTER Being Retriggered - all new Blink Outdoor

I am very tired of seeing the delivery person backing out of the driveway, but not seeing them approach the door and leave a package. When you step in front of my cameras, the motion indicator light goes on immediately, but there is no recording or notification of motion until after it retriggers. I got the cameras mainly to pick up wildlife but also for security of packages and such. They are completely useless if they do not record and notify the FIRST time. I’ve talked to several people at Blink and no one can figure it out. At first, they said it was because I wasn’t using 2.4 Ghz, so I had my internet provider set up that band. The problem persisted. I got a new set of cameras. Same problem. The last person I spoke with said that they think the ping time may be too long. I have gigabit internet, excellent connection and coverage with the few devices I have at home, and ONLY Blink cameras do not seem to work. The crappy thing is that I may have realized all this too late…it’s taken so long to troubleshoot that I don’t know if Amazon will accept my return of these “paper weights.” So…reaching out here in the event that someone out there has an answer!

Upload a video of a failed detection (too late), to you tube, and post the link here. People will have lots of good ideas to assist.

By the way, you couldn’t not have been using 2.4 GHz, they only work on 2.4 GHz. Don’t know what Blink was telling you there. If you didn’t have 2.4 GHz, you wouldn’t have been able to set them up in the first place, or get any results at all, good or bad.

Hi there! Thanks for the response. To be clear, I had a dual band before and they told me I had to have a dedicated 2.4. My frustration will only increase if I learn that’s not the case, as I had to work with my internet provider to get that set up. I expect I am about to get more frustrated…

Regarding the failed detection video, I’m not sure I follow. All that I would be able to upload is whatever is recorded AFTER the failed detection. That is, if I go out right now and dance in front of the camera, the motion detection light on the camera will turn on for a few seconds but nothing will be recorded (and I won’t be notified that there is motion). If I go back out a minute later and dance again, it WILL work. (I do not know how much time elapses between the time it works and then doesn’t work again…my guess is 5 or 10 minutes.) But I don’t know what sharing a video where it appears things are working fine will do to help.

Another penny for your thoughts on that? And thanks again!

check the sensitivity settings and retrigger settings. i had nearly the same issue until i played around with those settings to get it correct.

I’ve tried different configurations over the course of weeks. Even on the highest sensitivity, it will not record or notify me of motion until it’s retriggered.

OPTION 1
You are supposed to test all the cameras inside your house before you mount them outside. Test for day operation, night vision (close door close window blinds) , test for wifi signal strength of camera to router and camera to sync module, test for motion detection. Motion detection includes walking towards camera parrallel to camera view, at an angle, as well as perpendicular to camera view.

Test mobile app for settings, notifications, etc.

Record all serial numbers of cameras and sync module.

Then and only then after you are happy with your tests, you then temporarily mount them outside. Then retest everything. Then when happy, permanently mount outside.

OPTION 2
Or you can just assume everything will be good, permanently mount outside, then scratch your head when you realize that assumption was so far from reality it’s scary.

Guess which option most consumers choose. The problem is if Blink told you to do option 1, it would kill their sales. Way too much work for a simple do it yourself kit.

Thanks - but I had the same issue when I tested them indoors and at different times during the day. Oh, with multiple cameras too.

Amazing how the oh I already did the inside testing comes out after I suggest it. Congratulations to you! Only a very limited few percent of customers actually do the bench testing inside before installation.

Now my question for you is…Assuming you realize wifi communications is tougher outside than inside due to distance. .if it didn’t work inside, why the hell would you go ahead and install it outside?. If it doesn’t work, return it and get your money back!

I feel sorry for you. Thanks for not providing any assistance at all and being rude in the process.

2.4GHz and 5GHz, with some router smart switching implementations is flaky, at best. Nothing special with mine, but I have a shared SSID for 2.4 and 5, and have never had a problem, others have, for sure, it’s been reported in here a number of times.

If all they have done is split your 2.4GHz and 5GHz, so they have a separate SSID, then fair enough, sometimes, for some, that helps. If they turned off 5GHz, that’s not really such a nice solution, because why should you have to do without the benefits of 5GHz for your other devices.

My take on it is that it is a router issue, and how they implement that smart switching, because there are loads of people in here, like me, who report no issue at all with a shared SSID.

I get what you mean about there is no video to show. I hadn’t quite understood that the system worked after it had been ‘woken up’ for want of a better expression. Again, this seems to me like some strange router setting. The router could be cutting off your Blink devices due to lack of traffic. After you have ‘activated’ it the router realises it needs to support that device, and provides the necessary. Next time you go out, it works, because the router is now all tuned in and handling it.

I would look in your router settings for short IP address lease times, or some sort of power saving mode that disconnects devices without traffic.

Of course I’m only guessing, as we all do here, we’re just customers. You could also run the official Blink support tool app. Route this help. You enter the code BLNK, and when it has done its thing, you will have a report to give to Blink support. Basically, it is all privately stored, available only to someone with the code the app will give you, which you give to Blink. That then allows them to read the report on your network. I think you’d want to run that app when the camera is known to be cut off, again for want of a better description.

Good luck.

Thanks for the follow up! This is helpful. I’ll contact my internet provider and see if they have any insights. I’ll also contact Blink to run RouteThisHelps when I know the cameras are “asleep.” They have run the diagnostics a few times but now that you mention it I think it’s been after the cameras were activated.

Appreciate it!

I told you what to do and how to do it. If you don’t follow the help and do it your own way, that’s on you. When it becomes obvious what you did is your own fault, that’s not me being rude. That’s you screwing up. Take ownership for yourself and don’t blame me.

I feel even sorrier for you now. I hope you get some satisfaction out of being a caricature — “Your Company’s Computer Guy” from SNL.

My favorite SNL skit is Black Jeopardy. The Tom Hanks episode is the best. What up, what up WHAT UP!!!

Start up the countdown timer to how many hours or days it takes for this to get flagged and deleted. Cancel culture rides again.