New rechargable battery option?

So these batteries are lithium 3.7v 3000mah batteries, but have a regulator that restricts volts to 1.5v. so they maintain a constant 1.5v until they die. So the only problem maybe that they may die without a low battery notification first. Otherwise, they are rechargable AA battery with 1.5v.

Anyone try these?
KENTLI 4 pieces KENTLI 1.5v AA Rechargeable Battery 3000mWh Lithium-ion Polymer Battery AA Batteries https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019O4WISY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_We8GAbBWTT31P

Just my opinion @topnotchit, the chance of fire is too great a risk and price of replacement batteries are too cheap for a camera system that I can truly say batteries last a full year without my system being on default settings. If you have to ask the question about quality of these batteries then I believe you have answered your own question. Just my opinion, the savings are not worth, what you could lose. Hope this helps!

3 Likes

I would be hesitant on using rechargeable batteries.

2 Likes

OK, so no one has direct experience with these batteries?

They warn against using rechargeable batteries pretty explicitly, although they never explained whether it’ll actually cause a problem with the camera or just an unsatisfactory experience for the user.

Personally I haven’t had any issues with battery life so I have no incentive to try. If anything were to go wrong, like worst case scenario the camera gets bricked, they could say “sorry, you’re SOL, we warned you.”

1 Like

@topnotchit think about it this way. The sync module is the brains of the operation and it manages the cameras to operate in the most efficient way to get 2 years of battery life out of every camera. Let’s say you have a four camera system and you have energizer 1.5V in 3 of the cameras and you have your low grade rechargeable battery in the forth. Disclosure, I’m not saying anything bad about your choice of lithium ion rechargeable battery, but there maybe something wrong with how the blink system reacts to these batteries. See both sides have to play nice with each other and that’s where the problem is, will they play nice with each other. Will the sync module have to put in more work to make the rechargeable camera work more efficient and will that cause a problem for the system if it cannot. There are a hundred different places in my life where I could save money, but after watching the Dad die on “This is Us” and crying all over my wife. The security of my home and family is one place I would not try to save money. I would not put rechargeable batteries in my smoke alarm, I would not put rechargeable batteries in my CO2 alarm, I would not purchase or use a second rate fire extinguisher, and I would not put rechargeable batteries in my home monitoring system. No, I have not tried the batteries you have a link to and I’m sorry I could not answer that specific question for you but I hope I’ve helped you in other ways. Again, hope this helps?

Actually it’s their low power consumption chipset that allows the camera to be the size it is and run on batteries/ extended battery life.

Thanks for being more specific in saying what’s exactly inside the sync module.

The sync module issues commands between the blink app and the cameras. The camera’s have the video chipset inside that compresses video in real time, no DRAM.

Also the wifi chipset is programmed so it only sends video when it’s done recording for a quick powerful burst instead of streaming. So no, it’s not just the sync module being “the brains of the operation… managing the cameras to operate the most efficient way to get the 2 years of battery life.”

3 Likes

Again, thanks for being more specific in what’s in the sync module and camera system.:relieved:

So we disagree on calling the sync module the brains of the system. Thats ok with me, if that’s your issue. Why can’t I call it the brains of the system again? Again, thanks for being more specific in saying what’s exactly inside the sync module.

Again, doesn’t are brain’s issue commands to our body’s. Maybe its a bad comparison. I thought it was a great comparison.

This just doesn’t seem like an accurate description based on how blink has publicly described what makes their power management so impressive. If you are basing this conclusion off of something they have published, then please share it with us.

Although the sync module does obviously manage some communications between the cameras and the cloud, and in that sense could be described as the “brains” of the system I guess. But what @Estpaul has said seems much more consistent with what Blink staff themselves have publicly said, at least as far as power management.

Many of the exact details are of course a trade secret, which is apparently why amazon was willing to pay big bucks to acquire Blink.

Again, I disagree with the both of you. To me the sync module is the brains of the operation and helps me better understand how the system works from what I’ve read and from what was described to me. To each his own is the way I see it. I’m not trying to be point on point correct on how the system works. I’m just trying to help someone see something the best way I know how. Its ok that you disagree, but focus less on what I say and more on sticking to the point of the post and helping the person who is asking the question. Not the person who is trying to give him or her an answer. That’s all I’m saying.

That’s fine, but your description

is not accurate of how the system is getting efficient battery life, so I am sticking to the point of the post, per:

That article explains how the camera is getting the most efficient battery life possible due to the software and chipset, and not “will the sync module put in more work to make the rechargable camera work more efficient”.

That’s the whole point. The description you’re giving is not accurate of how blink functions as a camera.

2 Likes

Exactly. That’s why I think the worst thing that could happen is a single bricked camera, not some kind of systemwide instability induced by a sync module trying to reallocate resources in an effort to make one troublesome camera more efficient.

That’s a great article, I hadn’t read it. Particularly interesting to read something that was published before their kickstarter campaign.

Point of the post was if this person should use the rechargeable battery he showed us a link to not how blink works and uses its camera system efficiently.

Ok, cameras are the arms and legs and the sync module is the brains. The brains (sync module) sends commands to the body and body (cameras) executes the commands. Hand touches flame (camera turning on taking recording and sending it to brain) feels pain send information to brain (sync module), then brain (sync module taking information produces an outcome) tells hand to remove itself from the flame. The most eliquette creations ever made mimic nature and the human body. Sounds similar to me and without all the extra scientific mumbo jumbo. Again, thanks for the article but I still see things my way and you still see things your way. To me that seemed like a big waste of our time and the person with the post never got your answer @Estpaul to if you used the rechargeable battery he posting the link to. Please, before you respond to me again answer his question and hopefully you can do a better job than the rest of use to answer his question. So, I will end our conversation here and thank you for the article that makes me feel the same way I felt before.

No sir, this is the problem. You are offering suggestions and advice that is not based on verifiable facts provided by knowledgeable sources.

What you have said just now is also incorrect. The nerve fibers in your hands that respond to pain like from a fire do not actually need to travel to your brain in order for your hand to reflexively jerk back. It’s called a reflex because it involves your spinal cord, so it ends up causing your hand to move out of the way faster. It’s a different nerve signal that also travels up to your brain so that you consciously perceive the pain.

Why am I pursuing this digression? Because you often refuse to even acknowledge that your opinion is unsupported by facts.

That is not helpful for trying to answer other people’s questions.

Simplified version without all the mumbo jumbo. End result is the same. Sir!!!

What you call mumbo jumbo, I call details that matter.

Shall we stop now?