New Blink "Outdoor" cam

Just showed up on Amazon. Available 9/16. HD, and works with new (unreleased) sync 2. Nothing else big jumped out at me. My take:

• looks like it ships with original sync module, although the sync 2 is referenced. However, the description says “sold separately.” So, you have to wait for the sync 2, then spend more money for that.

Edit: sync module 2 is included. My bad…

• pricing is the “same” as XT2, so bye-bye to that (fire sale shortly?)

• My impression is that Blink will continue to push out low-end cams, and spend little to no effort on robust software features. So, Amazon’s plan is to position a product in the very low end, and upsell.

Any input from beta testers?

Linky linky where’s the Amazon ink? Oh wait, I should practice what I preach and do some homework/research on my own. Guess what, a new indoor camera is being pushed also.

Support page is updated also.
https://support.blinkforhome.com/

I agree with you on Blink pricing, features, and market. There needs to be clear separation between Blink and Ring. Ring is the cash cow so Amazon wont screw that up. However, with Wyze and other Cheap Charlie versions of it, Blink can go after that super low end priced market.

I really don’t think there are major differences between the new outdoor camera and the XT2.

Here are the differences I’ve found so far:

Outdoor comes with the Sync Module 2 (according to this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086DKSYTS?tag=meastus-20#tech-details0_1599056209693).

Outdoor is also smaller and lighter (but I don’t know how important that is for people mounting security cameras)

Outdoor has an extra red LED to indicate recording during night time

—-

XT2 Specs:

Immedia Proprietary – AC1002B, 4 cores / 200 MHz

Two AA lithium metal batteries last up to two years, based on 53,870 seconds of video events, including Live View, motion-activated recording, and two-way talk. XT2 provides double the seconds of use as the original XT when used exclusively for Live View and motion-activated recording. Battery life will vary based on device settings, use, and environmental factors. Use of two-way talk will reduce battery life.

—-

Outdoor Specs:

Immedia Proprietary – AC1002B, 4 cores / 200 MHz

Camera battery: 2 AA 1.5V lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries Sync Module 2 power: 100-220V AC to 5V DC converter included.

*Battery life of up to 2 years, based on 5,882 seconds of live view, 43,200 seconds of motion-activated recording and 4,788 seconds of two-way talk. Battery life will vary based on device settings, use, and environmental factors.

Add up the battery stats for the outdoor camera and it equals 53,870…

I would say it’s a good time to pick up the XT2 on discount but the current cut prices aren’t that good. Might as well wait for Amazon to dump their remaining stock to Woot for the true sale.

Yes, SM2. My bad. RTFM!

Thanks for the info. First glance there is a major difference. “Save video clips in the cloud with the Blink Subscription Plan.” and no free offer for existing users, as far as I can see!

Second glance, though not dug into it, I see no Fresnel lens, so motion detection may be different? Not sure how it could be though, from a battery use perspective?

Interesting, just browsing around, in general, I spotted a link to career opportunities at Blink. Not so small as I had been thinking, or perhaps as Joel had been thinking too, or at least not planning on being. 40 full time job vacancies, available right now.

https://support.blinkforhome.com/indoor-outdoor

Is it possible for them to put a PIR sensor in that weird rounded rectangle?

Also, based on the wording of the subscription page, I believe grandfathered users will be able to use the Blink Outdoor with their existing blink storage.

Possibly, technology moves forward, but previous reading I’d done said a Fresnel lens was necessary. Could easily be different now though.

Hope there is a grandfathered policy, in case I have the need to expand, or to replace.

Maybe they’re not using PIR detection. Could be they’re using pixel differential detection like the Mini.

From a just-received email

Please Note: Accounts created before April 15, 2020 will receive free storage on any devices added to their existing account!

Cool. Cheers.

Dunno Ron, that’s a tough ask. The camera would need to be always on, and that would be a real battery killer.

Anyone know of any alternatives to blink??

1 Like

mini indoor doesn’t use PIR for motion. XT 3rd generation could be this type also - time will tell. The activity zones uses pixel difference analysis as I recall. Why not use that for motion detection also?

Mini cameras however, are capable of motion detection through glass since they use pixel difference analysis instead of IR heat signature. For optimal results, the Blink Mini camera must be placed as close to a window as possible with the recording LED and IR LED disabled.

No. There are no other security cams on the market at this time. You HAVE to buy Blink …

6 Likes

The battery life is exactly the same. The processor is exactly the same. I’m not sure how the motion detection can be significantly different (pixel detection would drain more battery). IMO it must be PIR or something similar.

Working here for free is more fun. LOL
Knowing when to pizz people off - priceless. I got it from Colin Powell’s book. - chapter 1.

It’d be nice if someone from Blink would respond with that information. Or if they would release those details with all of the information on the camera.

Looks to me like they have only really added the feature of getting a motion notification without recording a video and putting in “privacy zones” to block out areas of the camera view was being visible in a recording.

How are privacy zones different from activity zones?

Tbh this just seems like a way for Blink to push their new subscription service and the sync module 2 (which don’t seem to be compatible with the XT2).