Motion Pick Up

Doing some testing with my new cameras and was wondering if it is normal that the cameras dont pick up motion as far out when it is dark versus during the daylight?

Welcome to the forums! It is normal for the detection range to decrease when it gets dark. Only thing to do is increase the sensitivity.

So the sensitivity is preset to 6. Would moving it to 9 make a huge difference? Or will it lead to more false positives?
Any consensus on the optimum sensitivity?
These are XT2 cameras by the way.

Moving it to 9 would make a big difference but you would probably get many false alerts. 5 or 6 seems to be the most universally used settings. Basically it boils down to a compromise setting - or you could manually change the setting when it gets dark (too much of a pain for me!). You really have to play around with positioning, sensitivity and the other parameters to find what’s right for your particular situation. Even then it will be a compromise. Good luck!

What kind of range should I expect for the motion sensing? 20 feet max? Less during the dark?

Exactly. Bear in mind that motion detection is more sensitive when the object is moving crosswise. It is much less sensitive when an object is moving directly towards the camera.

So I have a camera mounted to monitor who comes in and out of my driveway and I have noticed the motion sensor seems to trigger slower earlier in the morning at dawn and then as it gets closer to dusk. As soon as it gets brighter it triggers faster and then when it gets dark enough for the night vision to kick in it triggers faster again.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is it possible that the lighting can affect the motion sensor that much at those times where it is not dark enough for night vision but not bright daylight?

I would guess at night there’s less interference on heat signatures of objects possibly?

I’m can tell you that PIRs seem to be sensitive to just about everything… bright lights, reflections, etc. By design, it senses a heat signature, and that’s what gets translated into motion detection. So, what it “sees” is the temperature that is different than what is around that object. A hot car engine on a cold day may get picked up faster than a human on a very warm day. Maybe. Blink most certainly uses a less-precise PIR in return for lower design costs,

Contributors much smarter than I will certainly weigh in on this.

It makes sense that it would be less sensitive at night but it actually seems to be the reverse. It seems like the period just after dark early in the morning and then before it gets dark at night where it seems less sensitive. During the night and during broad daylight it seems fine.

So after a week of experimenting and testing with the XT2 cameras it seems that lowering the sensitivity to 4 or below results in sometimes missing motion events or late pickup and raising it to 7 or above results in too many false positives. It seems like 5 or 6 is the best balance for getting everything without too many false positives.

Has this been the typical experience of others?

Even with the sensitivity set to 9, I dont see much more in the way of increased range for picking something up. I have seen some posts where people say they are getting triggers from 60 plus feet away. I dont see how that is possible based on my experience. Looks like around 20-25 feet is the max.

20-25 feet for human sized is the maximum reliable detection for PIR of this category. Same across most camera brands (ring, arlo, nest). Obviously, larger heat signatures are easier to detect.

All my cameras are set between 4-6, depending on location.

I have noticed in rainy weather that the cameras are slower to pickup motion sometimes. I am assuming this is just a characteristic of PIR sensors where they can be affected by external factors. Anyone else notice this?

PIR rely on heat detection. It could be that the object’s heat signature does not stand out as well when it’s raining.