Local Storage stopped storing video captures

After my cloud subscription ran out I bought a brand new 256gb 3.1 speed flash drive. It worked okay for a few days and now the Local storage stopped capturing clips after 1 month. Everything else is working properly including receiving motion notifications, no problems accessing live video/camera through the app. I ejected the flash drive this morning and inspected the drive on my laptop and found no “recent” folders for the past week. Like I said earlier I ejected the flash drive and successfully connected it to the module. On the app the local storage is showing 1% full but will not store any video clips for me to retrieve from the app. Any ideas?

Blink’s new chart shows motion detection video recording is MISSING if you don’t have a subscription. Add to that, tons of complaints logged within this group of local storage not working as expected. People here guessing, assuming, etc.

My guess, Blink yet again stumbling through new product release and uses it’s customers as test bed after beta testing. I blame Amazon AWS cloud storage vs. servers syncing with customer Blink mobile app.

1 Like

It’s my belief that the above table is only correct because it takes no account of the local USB storage option. That’s possibly deliberate, I couldn’t say, but for sure there is plenty of evidence elsewhere, including on the side of the box, that USB storage is meant to be an adequate alternative to subscription.

Obviously there are lots of teething problems, as is evident from the posts in the forum, such as this one, but there is enough information to describe that it is meant to work, including as detailed on the side of the box, where it is crystal clear.

If I were faced with this issue, I would eject the USB Device, remove it, copy the existing content to a PC or similar, reformat it as exFAT, put it back in, and try again. If it still didn’t work, as described in many places, I would contact support, and describe what I had already tried, whilst also explaining what my expectations were.

The flash drive local storage worked for almost a month after my cloud storage expired, do you still think I need to reformat it to get to work? BTW, the service seemed to have stopped right around the first of the month after an app update.

Tom, I can almost guarantee that at some point, when you contact support, they will ask you to do that. Whether it’s necessary, or will help, is unclear, but it is a super simple 2 minute exercise, which they will ask you do do anyway. If it doesn’t work, almost nothing lost, just a tiny amount of effort on your part.

If it changes nothing, then you will have to contact support anyway, because I believe it is meant to work, exactly as you are expecting it to.

This happened to me too about a week ago. I suspected the app was telling me that the videos were deleted and that they really weren’t (thus having a full USB). When I plugged the USB in to my desktop in I found that there were about a months worth of folders (by date) on the drive but in fact the videos were deleted as I removed them throughout the month.

I reformatted the USB and removed the folders and it worked fine when I plugged it back in. I feel like it has something to do with a months worth of folders (to the date). Not sure why. Your post seems to confirm that.

Local storage has been a pain since my subscription ran out but it’s free. Basically after deleting a batch of videos I go into settings and eject and reconnect the USB (I do this because I’m also having the issue of old files coming back and playing during new events). I now have a backup USB that when I notice the files are not being saved I switch out with a new USB and clear off the other USB and have that as the new backup.

I really hope they get all of this worked out!

2 Likes

Flash drives love to fail if you do not eject them first before removing them. Happens to me often on my various ms windows computers over the years. Blink instructs to eject drive first. Soooo get in this habit and see if your usb drive works better or not. Also cheap no name drives love to fail also. Spend the extra 5 or 10 bucks and get a name brand drive. Format it via exFAT protocol.

https://support.blinkforhome.com/issues-with-your-sync-module/troubleshooting-usb-drive?from_search=66008529

I agree and think it’s deliberate to upsell subscriptions. But yes, clearly the usb drive for sync module 2 is supposed to allow local storage of video clips. Such a simple thing but has proven for Blink to be so problematic. Yet another example of not enough beta testing before product released to retail sales.

1 Like

I noticed too that there were folders for the month of May even though I deleted my videos daily they were all empty, I found no folders for the week of June though. I will reformat my USB and buy another one like you suggested. I did consider reformatting the USB flash drive but it asked for a disc allocation number (in kilobytes) which I didn’t understand so I never attempted.

I found the eject flash drive on the app a while back when I was still using the cloud, I have been using that to eject my flash drive since switching to local storage. I’ve gotten in a habit of doing that for a good while now with all my flash drives and computers.

1 Like

Anyone know what to set the “allocation unit size” to format a 256Gb 3.1 speed flash drive for use in storing video clips?

Does it not sat ‘default’ next to one of them? I can’t find my flash drive, so I cannot quickly check, but I thought it did. If it does, choose that.

Google it = Microsoft had the answer = 1028 or 128KB

1 Like

After repeated troubleshooting with my new 256Gb 3.1 speed USB flash drive I gave up and used an old 32Gb 2.0 USB flash drive (which wasn’t formatted) and it worked! Not sure why the new flash drive worked for 3 weeks and stopped but that’s what happened. Both flash drives I bought from MicroCenter.

Sync module 2 does not support usb 3.0 protocol as it has to be usb 2.0 protocol. If I’m right, you can donate 1 dollar to my paypal account.

Better yet, take that new 256Gb 3.1 speed USB flash drive and put it on an older computer. Older with usb 2.0 only capability. See if your new fancy flash drive screws up in that computer also. Now donate 2 dollars to my paypal account.

Actually it did work for 3 weeks which made it even more confusing. Before I bought the flash drive I actually scoured the Amazon reviews for the sync module 2 and one of the Blink experts mentioned it “would” work for 256Gb 3.1 speed flash drive. Oh well, live and learn.

1 Like

3.1 is backwards compatible supposedly. But the quality and longevity of no name generic flash drives has been terrible for me. Even from Micro Center - I’ve spent waaaaay toooo much money at that place 10-20 years ago.

Regarding online reviews…I’m learning the hard way how easy it is for companies to use 3rd party software to give themselves fake positive reviews. AKA, if 90% of the people love a turd, is it still a turd? Well yes it is but shitt happens as you bought it anyway.