Lithium Battery requirement

Just curious, is the main reason Blink recommends Lithium batteries is to maximize time between replacements, or is there some additional performance benefit from using them? (ie - quicker trigger response time, etc?)

2 Likes

I’ve also wondered the same thing and would like some input

2 Likes

I used Alkaline AAs in a pinch for a few weeks once on one camera and everything seemed normal. I imagine that lithium is purely for battery life but I could be wrong

1 Like

Hi all! The Lithium batteries are used for battery life mainly. This will give you the best battery life for your cameras and also keep your cameras functioning normally. We have had instances of customers using rechargeable or alkaline batteries which die within a few weeks or cause their camera to malfunction. Hope this answers your question!

2 Likes

Thanks Tori. I suspected there might be more than just battery life at play here. I replaced with alkaline batteries temporarily the other day until I could get to the store; the motion sensor “seems” to be a little slower on getting triggered. ie - the person was practically at the front door vs. catching them coming up the walkway. Tweaking the sensitivity setting didn’t help. I’m going to make a point to pick some up today and swap them out.

2 Likes

To all-
The same batteries that Blink sends with XT cameras are available in bulk at much lower prices than your local stores if you look on Amazon. I used these in all of my indoor cameras in addition to the XT’s.

3 Likes

Lithium batteries perform better in the cold than most other battery types. I expect that the reason Lithium has been chosen is due to the XT being an outdoor camera and so needing to operate in colder temperatures, and also due to better battery life.

1 Like

Very true! “In some cases, cold temperatures can cause alkaline batteries to burst and leak. … In addition to cold weather performance, CR123/CR123A and Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries have longer shelf lives and higher charge capacities than alkaline batteries.” - Toolguyd.com

yes. it is exactly what I got. I used 1.5V rechargeable Lithium battery. it can work, but trigger very slow.

I’ve seen a lot about battery life and cold weather, which is great. But I’m concerned about hot weather - I live in Texas and my outdoor camera is under an overhang, but the heat still gets way up there in the summer. Isn’t this dangerous with lithium batteries? (Potential battery explosion?) thanks!

These are not the lithium batteries you are thinking of. Those with such issues, though still extremely rare, are rechargeable lithium batteries.

Please see the spec sheet for the Energizer version below:

From the spec sheet you will see they are good from -40F to +140F. Although capacity is significantly reduced as the temperature drops very low.

1 Like

can I use lithium rechargeable batteries, the batteries it came with lasted 2 months, not two years as stated. these cameras are meant to capture outside activity, well there is a lot activity outside, and if you lower the trigger time that jeopardizes catching someone in action.