Just had a package stolen! :(

:rage: Just had a packaged stolen about 2 hrs ago. I got the alert on blink xt camera, by the time i played it back and checked the guy took off and got in his vehicle. I was home at the time. Police report filed and video sent to them. They were searching the neighborhood for the suspect.

My initial thought was the expected delivery alert as we been getting a lot of deliveries and my main purpose of getting the cameras were for this. Blink did its job and im glad i have at least the evidence, but a pissed off wife that her package was stolen! LOL

I will try to link the video, below is a freeze frame from the video.

4 Likes

That’s an unfortunate incident, glad you were able to record it. You can upload the video to YouTube and then share the link here if you’d like.

1 Like

Hey @flyswoosh,

I’m sorry that your wife had her package stolen, but it is great to hear that Blink caught the theft! :fist::clap:

I am very sorry to SEE that that this has happened to you and I am SO glad that you have the video to nail the thug! But here’s the problem that I find with Blink, and why I ultimately returned mine… You were home and still got the notification TOO LATE!!!. Blink just doesn’t send the notifications timely enough to do anything about it, and there is no 2 way audio or pinch to zoom in on my Android. I think Blink waits for the activity to be over before they send the notification, then it is too late to deter or intervene. If there were a way to communicate with the thief you could have said something to scare him off, and this problem for you might have been avoided. I had Blink and Arlo side by side to test this feature and every time Arlo promptly sent the notification in time to deter while I waited and waited and waited for Blink XT to notify me… I found it very disappointing. I wanted to love Blink, but I just couldn’t based on late notifications, no 2 way audio, 1 min is FAR too short for recording time( who cares about $5 battery life if some one is ripping you off for thousands, or threatening your security! ) and a 10 second re-trigger time either didn’t work for me or took too long missing a lot of action), and no zoom on Android(which EVERY other manufacturer has figured out.) Sorry to be such a downer but hopefully Blink will read this and understand why these features are so important and make some improvements to the product. If they did, I’d come back. Again so sorry for your loss, its a shame people do this sort of thing…

1 Like

I think you need to re-read what he said. Also, Arlo is 3 times as expensive.

I put all my camera’s at face level. I want them to see my cameras and I want to see their face. Don’t understand the recommendation of putting them so high.

Hi Brian,
Maybe I misinterpreted: " I got the alert on blink xt camera, by the time i played it back and checked the guy took off and got in his vehicle. I was home at the time" , " My initial thought was the expected delivery alert as we been getting a lot of deliveries and my main purpose of getting the cameras were for this. Blink did its job and im glad i have at least the evidence.", The way I read this was that he implied that he was expecting the packages and trying to avoid a theft by purchasing cameras to monitor the situation. So why wouldn’t you check your notification immediately? What’s the point of buying the system to receive a notification and just leave the packages sit there?? Especially if your home and expecting them… I interpreted it as because there is such a long lag in notifications being sent after all activity has stopped by the time he reviewed it the thief was long gone. If I was wrong, then I’m sorry, but it comes from my experience with the Blink system and the lagging notifications. Also I’m not sure where your shopping but I’d gladly pay $130 more for the features of an Arlo Pro three camera system on Amazon. :
Price + Shipping Condition (Learn more) Delivery Seller Information Buying Options
$449.99

• $6.99 shipping
    New
    VS
    Blink XT Three Camera System, Blink website
    $ 319.99 Blink website
    Just voicing my honest opinion and features that I value in a security system. Also it was intended as a post so that Blink could read it and possibly improve a good system to make it great!
    In the end, a pissed off wife is never a good thing! Cheers!
1 Like

In this particular situation I doubt this person would have had time to do anything really, possibly see the back of the person and the car they were getting into. It would only take seconds for this to happen to anyone. Judging from the screenshot there wasn’t much area covered leading up to the door, which I would assume was to reduce unwanted notifications. It’s hard to quantify what will deter a criminal, I see a security sign on the door, who’s to say if he saw the camera or the owner said something over the camera, anything would have changed. We all have a personal opinion about physically interveneing, but that could be dangerous. Hopefully the owner will be able to recover the package, since he has a recording and hopefully the person/s doing this will be caught.

1 Like

Why are you here if the Blink camera is not for you any more? Amazon is 229 for 3 blink. Arlo pro 493. I was just guessing at the price difference. I am glad you are happy with your new system. Why not talk about it on the Arlo Pro forum?

The one thing I would like to see from blink is instant/live alerts too.

1 Like

Wow Brian… Really? I think you are being a little ultra sensitive about your Blink.
Perhaps you should take some of your own good solid advice… " I think you need to re-read what *she said" …
…“it was intended as a post so that Blink could read it and possibly improve a good system to make it great!”
Merry Christmas, Brian!

1 Like

There should be an option to have an alert upon motion detection and then a follow-up of the recording. The blink cameras I have do what I bought them for but do see a lot of room for improvement. I’ve trolled the forums a bit and see a lot of “we are working on that” but never any new features or road maps.

1 Like

This picture is so clear. I have a few questions. How high from the ground is your camera? How is it mounted? Could this guy see the camera?