High Usage Alert

I am getting a high usage alert without high usage. I only installed one camera about a week ago. Honestly, I havnt had any motion or recordings that I havnt caused myself trying out the camera. I do not check the live feed often. I do go on the app to make sure the scheduler is working. Why did I get a high usage alert?

I had the same issue on my Iphone - I also saw Blink app had a new update. I clicked the 3 horizontal bars in the upper left corner.
I then clicked Manage Account
I then clicked Notification Options
Under ALERTS
I clicked High Camera Usage OFF

This is instruction for Iphone settings.

2 Likes

So is it the assumtion that this is an app issue not an actual camera/battery problem?

WOW! I hadn’t noticed this update, and it’s actually one that ios users like myself have been asking for for months. Android users have had much more granular notification options for a while now.

It does seem like it’s possible that with the update to the app, it’s something other than the camera itself that is the source of the phantom notifications.

@Jason_A are you using an iOS device?

Yes I am

I’d suggest opening a ticket with support. They should be able to check your camera and sync module logs for some kind of activity that’s resulting in the high usage flag, even if it doesn’t look like your camera is recording very frequently.

If it’s not something like that, then maybe it really is related to the app update.

Or maybe @nick_at_blink can reach out to the iOS app dev team?

I’ve been getting the same message the last couple of days and my usage hasn’t changed.

I got one yesterday, and one after the first couple of days of having the system.
Not too much but I shall keep an eye on this.

I used to get periodic alerts about high usage, then I could delete the alert. For the last week or more, the alert stays; can’t be deleted. This is very helpful information for a new user, but I know where our high usage is. I have turned that particular alert off as noted above (iOS).

Hi All,

I was informed that the threshold for high usage alerts was lowered slightly on iOS in the last week. However, if anyone is getting these alerts consistently without anything close to high usage please let me know and I can mention it to our team. @Roy_at_Blink @Anand_at_Blink

Hello Nick,
I just recently installed blink cameras in my house. I just got the high usage alerts on two of my cameras and they are not in a high usage area. I was wondering if sun light could cause it? One is in basement and the other in my car port. I have it set to arm when we leave for work and disarm right before we get home. If you could hell me out that would be great.

When you installed your camera - added it to the mobile app, you may have noticed the picture below. It says what to avoid - #2 the sun in the sky. Yes sunlight causes shadows and shadows will activate the motion sensor. The problem is, the motion sensor is not a motion sensor. Rather it is a PIR sensor. PIR detects infra-red heat reflection. Google PIR sensor for more info. Also use the search function here to find previous threads on PIR sensor.

This is ideal positioning for camera.

Thank you for your response that’s what I was thinking I blacked out the window of motion and a little area that was coming through to my carport. Will look when I get back in town about a different position for them

1 Like

Just setup a 3 camera system. First day, 1 camera raised alert for High Usage. Apart from the setup tests, the system is so far still Disarmed and the cameras Motion Detection turned off. How can there be High Usage? I will monitor over day 2.

Takes a few days for brand new cameras to update their firmware. They also need to synchronize with the mobile app as well as the Blink servers. Others have reported funky false alerts on brand new cameras so don’t get too alarmed. Pun intended.

Give it a week and see if it balances out to normal or self destructs into never working correctly at all. Some cameras are indeed faulty out of the box. You’ll get a new one from Blink on an warranty exchange program.