Foggy

lol I used to do the same thing. Usually left a camera bag outside under an awning

2 Likes

@ronsec explained it nicely but here’s my go at it, just for fun. Water vapor is everywhere, and when air temperature/humidity change, condensation can form on the outside or even inside of the camera lens.

There are plenty of other posts re: what people have tried to even further weatherproof their cameras. Some have tried rain-x on the lens, adding silicone grease to the battery compartment rubber seal, etc. Read more closely through some of the other threads for some ideas if you want to give them a try.

Mine have fogged up ever since I got them Just something to deal with, unless you can control the environment around the camera

I just put them up two days ago and 3 of them started doing it to me. I’m going to see if I can get my money back or replacments

Go to Walmart and buy a 75 dollar deer/trail camera.
Mount it next to your foggy Blink camera.
Wait a few days and see if trail camera is foggy when Blink camera is foggy.

You’ll find the answer is yes. Go to Walmart and return the deer/trail camera getting your money back.

Foggy lens is not a Blink problem. It’s a mother nature problem. Those multi thousand dollar wired camera systems have this same problem.

Your car/truck winshield fogs up also and it’s 100% waterproof. How do you fix foggy glass? Heat it! Figure out how to heat and defog the camera lense and you just became a solution provider.

3 Likes

I have 4 cameras. 2 are in backyard. Only 1 of the 4 gets fogged up every night. Defective? I’ve checked the cover seal and added some silicone to make sure it’s well sealed. Photos shot just now from 2 cameras within 25 feet of each other.

Actually they dont. I manage all the cameras for my company. About 1000 in total, and about 150 outdoor cams. They never fog up, because they are always on, and warm.

I said use a 75 dollar deer/trail cam = not always on and not warm.

Oh… I was responding to this.

Foggy lens is not a Blink problem. It’s a mother nature problem. Those multi thousand dollar wired camera systems have this same problem.

TC, it’s probably the location. By far the simplest way to confirm if you need to try and dry it out, or improve the seal, or if it’s faulty, or it’s the location, is to simply swap a good camera with the bad. Even if you have to delete one camera from a sync module and add it to another, it’s still easy to do. Delete, readd, rename accordingly, done. By next day you will have your answer.

If they are on the same module, you just move them. Don’t even rename them, if you plan on putting them back. Probably as well to take a new snapshot for each, just so there’s no chance of getting muddled. Best part is it’s free.

If the previously good camera fogs in the new location, it’s the location. If it is the location, having completed the test, post a picture of your installation, and people will be able to give you suggestions to improve things. The difficulty with what you’ve posted is it’s so bad, we can’t see anything that might be contributing.

In my experience, if it is under any sort of overhang, they do not fog up. Even one of those covers with a rain peak helps. I think it’s to do with how the air moves, and causes the condensation.

Anyway, swap and test, and you’ll have your answer.

1 Like

Oh ok. Wonder how all those cameras in TX are doing this week during freekazoid blizzard. My guess, not well as not heated.

1 Like

Mine were all working well at 15 degrees (except the one foggy one, it was iced over). Working now with low humidity.