Foggy

I have noticed my cameras are very foggy in early morning (sometimes overnight).
I am sure this is due to moisture in the air, morning dew, etc.

Both of XTs are well off the ground (the backyard camera is more than 6 ft high)

Anybody dealing with this have a solution?

Also (and I am kicking myself for deleting this), one of the videos was so distorted, it looked like a ghost face. I would have uploaded it if I wasn’t half asleep when I deleted it.

1 Like

That’s why I build my shed for my XTs. It has eliminated this issue for fully exposed cameras.

3 Likes

So you’re saying we shouldn’t request a defogger mode? :wink:

What did you used for your ‘shed’. do you have any pics?

I was thinking of cutting some plexi to fit, because I don’t want to impact the view.

4 Likes

Nice.:+1:

The slanting sides allow for full camera view.
Actually, you might not even need the sides.

1 Like

Nice I like this. I struggle with visible enough that a burglar sees it but not so visible it weirds out my nieghbors.

2 Likes

You made it or got it from some store? if so please share the link :robot: (Read the lazy me!)

1 Like

I made it. It’s very easy to do

1 Like

Good job Mark!

Here is a suggestion for other DIY-ers. There is a type of “plastic lumber” available from Home Depot and other building supply stores. I use this stuff for window frame trim and door trim in home repair projects. The material is described as “expanded PVC” and is a white color. Saws easily, and nails just like real wood. It won’t rot, is waterproof, and termites won’t eat it. The planks come in varying lengths- usually ten to twelve feet but you can cut what you need in the store. The thickness is 3/4", and width is 4"- pretty much perfect to copy Mark’s shed design.

4 Likes

Thanks @Manxman for the tip & @Mark_Griffith for the design!

1 Like

My “foggy” camera is mounted in a location that is IMPOSSIBLE to get wet and has now started fogging up.
Very frustrating since I have 10 of these cameras.
Time to break out another $120 “spare”

Since the fogging is a result of condensation, whether the camera can get wet or not doesn’t really matter. The fogging is a result of the difference in temp of the lens and outside air. One thing I would make sure of is that the condensation can be wiped off the lens. This would show that it isn’t a camera fault. If it can’t, that would show that the fog is internal and that the seals are not air/water tight.

I am quite clear on what can cause “fogging”…Thank you.
These cameras are marketed as outdoor cameras and therefore should be able to be used outside without “fogging”

In addition, I have tried wiping the lens off to see if that helped but have not been able to connect to the “Blink Cloud” for the last 20 minutes.
Therefore I cannot view a live stream to verify.

3 Likes

This will cause me to return 11 Blink XT cameras I purchased to replace a hardwired system that never had these problems. Marketing a camera with these problems as outdoor units would be laughable if they hadn’t wasted so much of my time setting them up (and having to return them). We had rain last night and temperature is in the mid-40s, and two of my six installed XTs - sitting inside the Amazon-recommended protective mounts - are so fogged they look like they’re underwater. Two others won’t connect, despite having great (4 or 5) signal strength to both the sync module and wifi. Totally worthless. I joined this forum just to see if there was a solution, but the idea of building a “birdhouse” to hold outdoor cameras - while clever - is unacceptable. These things are fine for indoors, but all XTs should be recalled and refunds given. Horrible product.

2 Likes

Hi @madcodger,

I am very sorry you haven’t had a positive experience with our XT cameras. Personally, I have three XT cameras mounted outside and I have never had an issue with them fogging up, rain or shine. Which mount are you referring to? In terms of your other cameras not connecting, I would recommend contacting support directly and I’m sure they will be able to help you resolve this issue! You can submit a support ticket or call us at (781) 332-5465 in the US or +441158384189 in the UK.

Gotta love the ‘birdhouse’ line lol

2 Likes

I am having the same problem. Very disappointing.

2 Likes

Struggling with the same problem. Three XTs, two of them under porch roofs and all three fogged up this evening. Similar to another user’s comment, it would be impossible for two of them to get wet. Does anyone have a suggestion? I’m reading lots of complaints but no answers.

2 Likes

I think you’re not getting answers because there are none. If the atmospheric conditions are right the cams will fog. Doesn’t matter if they’re Blink, Arlo or any other brand. When I was a wedding photographer I often ran into this when going from outside into a cold air conditioned reception hall. I had a spare cam in a plastic bag for just such an occasion - unfortunately we can’t do that with our Blinks!

2 Likes