False alarm every hour just in the night

I bought 5 cameras, 2 weeks ago, I installed them all on the same system. 3 work well, but two work well only during the day, when it comes to nights, these cameras have a false alarm every hour throughout the night and at the same minute. Does anyone know what’s wrong?

Not a false alarm. See how its a camera icon? Thats the photo capture option. You can turn it off in the settings of each camera.

2 Likes

Sooo many assumptions
Sooo little time spent reading the owner’s manual

THIS is the owner’s manual
https://support.blinkforhome.com/

The topic to read is “photo capture”
https://support.blinkforhome.com/indoor-outdoor/photo-capture-faq

2 Likes

Thank you

your welcome!

https://support.blinkforhome.com/indoor-outdoor/photo-capture-faq

This will give you more details of what normally happens with this feature, but there is also something odd going on. If you read the FAQ, you will see that a photo capture event should happen hourly. The photo is stored in the camera. If nothing happens for 24 hours, those 24 images are made into a photo capture film clip, and shown in your clip roll with a camera icon next to the image.

If the camera gets interupted, with live view, or a motion event, it creates a photo capture event, because the camera has to dump those photos from memory.

In your case, you get the photo capture taking place, hourly, at say 5.48 AM, 6.48 AM, etc, and then each one is followed by a motion capture event, the running man icon. This is not right. It is too coincidental. There is clearly some issue.

Photo captures should not appear, unless there is motion event, a live view, or 24 hours has passed. If it was the 24 hours, why then is there a motion capture event after it. If the motion capture event was before it, and it caused the photo capture to terminate, and upload a clip, and it is just a slight timing issue, with the clip coming in first, because it probably has to, to be offloaded from memory, what caused the motion clip, on an hourly basis?

Here’s my guess, though I’m quite convinced, and I think this is known to Blink. When the IR comes on for the photo capture event, in the dark, a nearby object, is, or can be, ‘seen’ more by one slit of the PIR detector than the other.

If one slit sees more light than the other, it creates a small voltage difference between the two detector slits, and it uses a differential amplifier to magnify this to appropriate levels for a trigger. Look up PIR detectors, and you will see how this works.

When a whole scene is suddenly illuminate evenly, each slit sees the same exposure to IR, so it does not create a differential to be amplified, so there is no trigger. If, you have a siding, right next to the camera, or similar, it is entirely possible that the IR coming on for the photo capture, could trigger a response from the PIR detector, because the slits might be illuminated differently.

Turning off photo capture will still stop it, because the false trigger disappears, but it shouldn’t have been doing it anyway. This is an issue that is closely related to an age old issue where XT and XT2 cameras would repeatedly trigger after a a real event, or after a live view, when done at night.

Sorry to go on, but stuff like this intrigues me.

1 Like

Thank you

Thank you for your information and your help, but what intrigued and intrigue me the most is that I have 5 cameras, all with the same schedule, but when the night comes, from 6:45 PM until 7:45 AM, hour by hour, two cameras shoot without any movement, happening every night, except last night because I turned off the photo section and retrigger time to 15s to both. Let’s see what will happen in the next few days.

Retrigger time to 15 seconds, or more, is the solution to the age old repeat retrigger, at night. As for why only two of five are affected, it’s probably as I explained. It will likely be what the PIR ‘sees’ in terms of reflected IR light from the illuminator. If a camera is just looking straight out into the darkness, both PIR slits will be exposed to an even spread of light, and it will not perceive it as motion. If it differs across the two, it will, and this could be easily be caused by a nearby object, on one side of the camera only, especially with the new, massively offset, illuminator position.

Retrigger time may well not apply to photo shoot and have no bearing on the outcome. I doubt they could do that, or they would be creating dead times in the detection, every hour, just as a result of whatever the retrigger time was set to, up to 60 seconds, and just because it took a photograph.

My bet is that they will not do it now, because you are not illuminating the scene, with a once per hour, potentially offset IR signal for the PIR to falsely detect.