Direct Power vs Battery

Good evening,

Quick simple question.

If I hardwire/direct USB power my cameras, but still have Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries in each camera - will the batteries kick in(as long as they are not drained) if hardwire/direct USB power failure happens?

Thank you in advance,
Slimshaney

Quick answer: yes! LOL

1 Like

Ronsec,

Thank you for following-up on my question, but your answer is a little long winded - don’t you think? Lol

Appreciate the feedback as always!

Respectfully,
Slimshaney

2 Likes

Most everything to know about the Blink camera’s and sync modules is on the support website aka the owner’s manual. However that involves research via the search function and reading articles. You know, like google search.

The long answer = https://support.blinkforhome.com/f-a-q/why-is-there-a-usb-port-on-the-camera?from_search=64526089

My take on it, if you are going to externally power a totally wireless battery operated camera, why would you buy a Blink camera in the first place? Lots of better performing camera systems at the same price point are available that are externally powered. Start with POE and Wireless IP cameras that record to hard drive and/or local memory card. Some of those cameras also include battery backup.

Remember the Blink advantage is totally wireless. The disadvantage is performance results and limitations of running only on batteries. Even with external power, a Blink camera is still limited to it’s same performance as running on batteries. Resolution, frame rate, night vision, motion detection distance/accuracy, wifi signal distance. These performance characteristics are limited as power source is only…2 little AA lithium batteries.

1 Like

Good morning Joel,

My reasoning for possibly hardwiring is the following;

I don’t need/want to hardware my entire environment, just two cameras - front door and front outside wall that faces the front yard/street.

I’ve had to replace these batteries(once) already within the first month of purchase/setup.

But I contribute the early battery replacement to a lot of testing/tweaking and learning curve early on.

I want the two front cameras to basically trigger on everything; cars driving by, family, delivery drivers and or people I don’t know on my property and not have to worry about battery failure.

But I realize there are limitations to battery powered camera systems.

Other than that, my wife and I are 100% confident in this system and happy with our purchase.

Respectfully,
Slimshaney

Thank you.

1 Like

You are like most situations. They really need a combination of different technoligies but end up buying a one system fits all approach… Then they try and make the entry level priced item (Blink) perform like something else. Your situation below is a perfect example.

While Blink can do this, you’ll be sacrificing performance for price and convenience. Will it be good enough for your situation? Maybe. Only time will tell. What you may find down the road is having one mobile app for camera brand A and another mobile app for camera brand B is actually no big deal. You already have multiple apps on a mobile device.

What you really want is two front cameras that record 24/7 and don’t use trigger events to start recording. But that’s a different story.

Good luck with it all and have fun playing around with different Blink configurations. Blink is a great place to start. Then grow from there as your needs and wants grow.

1 Like

Good morning Ronsec,

I have a question, that I’m hoping you and anyone else can weigh in on.

Please review my answer to @Joel_Ek below and I’m hoping Joel will weigh in on this as well.

My wife and found the following; https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M9KBVJ6/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_glt_fabc_YXWQNYFDY470EGT0BRQ1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

But in one of the pictures, it specifically shows to remove the Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries before using the power cables(s) - saying that it is unsafe.

Can you/Joel confirm that this is unsafe and or should I use re-chargeable batteries in the scenario or is that an unsafe situation as well.

***Or will the EUL batteries be just fine?

Thank you,
Slimshaney

Thank you Joel,

Can you please explain “one mobile app for camera A and one mobile app for camera B”?

I have the one mobile blink app on my phone of course, but maybe I’m not understanding your comment in my lack of experience(but totally gaining knowledge each day).

Respectfully,
Slimshaney

I really don’t see why it would be unsafe but I hesitate to tell you to use it with batteries if they say not to. As far as rechargeables there would be no advantage as they will not recharge in the camera and the same safety limitations (if any) would still apply.

I believe Joel meant that it would be no big deal to have 2 different camera systems. I have 2 myself. I use a Ring Doorbell Pro (which is hard wired to the bell transformer). It records 24/7 and takes a snapshot every few seconds. I only have it alert from 11PM to 6AM but it records continuously.

2 Likes

The link Joel provided clearly details that there is no safety issue leaving the designed batteries in place when providing external power. Indeed it goes on to explain that they will serve as a back up should the power go out, though your sync module will probably go offline, as will your router, so not much of an advantage.

Batteries are not charged, when the camera is powered. This would damage them, and be a safety issue, but they are not. Again, this is explained in the link, and indeed it mentions that there remains some small drain on the batteries, even when powered. I can confirm this drain is very low.

1 Like

Thank you @suttyblink @ronsec @Joel_Ek

Joel, my apologies - I completely over looked the url that you provided that Sutty pointed out to me.

Much appreciated on each one of you taking the time to reply with personal experience/knowledge and honest comments/replies.

Respectfully,
Slimshaney

2 Likes

Some not all versions of 3rd party solar power battery packs used with Blink state remove the original Blink batteries. Solar is a complete different subject and option to study

1 Like

Copy that Joel.

Thanks for the heads up.

Take it easy man.
Slim

1 Like