Sorry for the long post but if you are having this problem it may be helpful
Back to my testing:
First of all I’m not documenting my testing and I’m testing for short periods when I have some free time which usually gets interrupted by daily life…again this testing should be performed by the manufacturer.
So, I was filling out the form to submit a support ticket and started reading several suggested articles linked by Blink as possible solutions (suggested reading BEFORE submitting ticket)
In my case I found this link to be most useful:
Near the bottom of that page are suggestions related to Android 8 users.
I found the very last tip the most useful. It details a process of signing out, power cycling phone, uninstalling/reinstalling app.
I found after doing the process I was getting prompt notifications…for a short time. I tested a few times and all was well so I thought it solved the problem. An hour later my wife was again getting notifications and I wasn’t. Result - FAIL
I then started comparing the two phones. (Long story short) My wife’s phone is very similar to mine because she’s currently using my back up phone. One difference was that I added “Clean Master” app to my newer phone to try to keep it running smoothly. So I uninstalled Clean Master app and cycled my phone on/off again and low and behold I started getting prompt notifications on my phone again at the same time my wife was getting them. I think I tested it 4 times and all was well. 15 minutes later she was getting notifications and I wasn’t AGAIN! Result - FAIL
I started playing with cycling phones on/off and they would sync up again for a short time then one would work and the other wouldn’t (now I was getting the early notifications and her phone was not??)
Then I started playing with my son’s Android phone. So now I had THREE Android phones RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER and then his phone would get notifications and BOTH mine and my wife’s phone would not!
FYI: We actually have 4 phones on the Blink system. 3 Android, 1 iphone (not sure if the # of devices or different OS is a factor in this flaw?). Not sure if this is an issue on Apple devices as I have not checked my daughters phone…she’s never home.
This is when I switched my phones wifi off (all three were on for the testing described above) and started getting prompt notifications again. So mobile data does seem to work (for the moment). I’ll try more testing later. To be honest I’m aggravated and frustrated with these results and I started playing with this as 5am so I’m done for now.
My current opinion (FWIW/YMMV) is that Blink has a problem with the sync module sending notifications to multiple devices. I’m no electronic engineer so IDK if its hardware, software or what but that appears to be the issue.
Why else would it work for a short time then stop working?
It appears one phone becomes the dominant phone and gets prompt notifications while the other phones quit getting them after a very short period BUT then this can be corrected again (briefly) by performing one or all of the following: signing out/signing into app, power cycling phone, uninstalling/reinstalling app?
I strongly recommend Blink does some testing on one system sending notifications to multiple devices (and try different devices & OS’s).
I know there are other users experiencing the same issues. I know its a pain and time consuming to write out a detailed post but I’d like to hear what others are experiencing and have found out in their own troubleshooting/testing.
To be perfectly honest I’ll probably be sending the Blink system back because I don’t have the the time or desire to troubleshoot someone else’s problem and while the system is inexpensive (thanks to Prime Day) it doesn’t function as it should, I’d rather spend more money on a proven product. (Maybe they’ll have this issue resolved by Black Friday and I’ll buy again if they have another promotion)
Hopefully Blink support monitors these boards and has a look at my findings, I hope this insight helps.
If anyone here had the ear of Blink support please forward this post.
Another flaw I noticed with syncing is when I delete clips on my phone it does not ALWAYS update properly on other devices. I have found clips on my wife’s and son’s phones with the yellow dot on them that I had deleted hours or even days ago. When I click on these to play them they never load and play as they have already been deleted by another user. This is much more rare than the notification flaw above but still a syncing issue.