Customized app notification sound

Not sure about on iOS but the Android app just uses a generic notification sound , it would he nice to get a customized notification sound for Blink

7 Likes

I wonder if that’s an android setting thing? I can’t seem to customize any notification sounds on any of my android apps.

I know in my Ring Doorbell app notifications have a custom sound. So this should be possible in the Blink app as well

This would be possible for an app update, but is not available from either IOS or Android app settings. This is a great idea and one I will speak to the developers about. Would one tone suffice for all of the app notifications (arm/disarm, motion alert, etc) or are we thinking an individual sound for each type of notification?

2 Likes

@Tori_At_Blink I feel one sound for arm/disarm and another for alerts would be ideal. However I am more concerned with a sound for alerts.

6 Likes

This is a great Idea. I love the Ring app sound for motion and rings, it is very distinctive so I can differentiate it from regular notifications, which is not the case with Blink. That feature would be awesome!

I concur that this would be a great improvement! I think that one (1) unique notification sound would be best. Keep it simple, but unique. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yes. Been asking for this since the app came out. They tell meet that they cannot make custom sounds for iOS, which I find odd. It would be really nice if they can tap into the override the silent mode like the alarm clock app does (I would hat to wake up to an intruder in my bedroom with just a little notification on my lock screen that motion was detected).

2 Likes

I’m a new Blink user and I have already been looking for a way to change the notification sound of motion detected. I’m finding that I am completely immune to the current sound … especially at night; as it sounds just like every other notification sound. Something different and unique would be more than appreciated if someone could make that happen.

5 Likes

All I can say that notification sounds are definitely being considered in our discussions, though I can’t give a promise if or when it happens.

We do think notifications are one of the most important ways users interact with Blink. We have been making notifications better and consistent through recent upgrades in terms of delivery and organization.

For example on Android we recently added notification bundling - You will see your motion clips bundled together per camera. Like it will say 5 clips from 3 cameras(Example). If you expand the notification, you will see a thumbnail image inside of the clip. @Julianp_at_Blink can explain more.

As for receiving notification consistently on devices, we have actively improved our backend and monitoring systems for getting better consistency rates.

All these things are non-UI changes and come under “Bug fixes and Improvements” :wink:

Thanks,
Anand

2 Likes

I really like the notification changes …including the screenshot in the notification itself. Great work. However like many others , I have become totally immune to the standard notification sound, I think it’s a really important to pursue the custom notifications

3 Likes

Definitely something we’re considering, a quick question for everyone though: would you like a blink specific sound that we use for the app notifications? Or would you prefer just a notification sound selection screen to choose the sound, default being our sound?

1 Like

I would be fine with just changing your default notification sound. Seems the easiest to implement.

Agree with @A_Person and also because a notification sound that I might prefer may not work the same for the majority of other users. Allowing the end user to use the default or select another of their choosing seems the way to go.

2 Likes

Blink staff seem to be dismissing this as trivial. The entire purpose of the system is for security. Currently the notification is too soft to wake me up in the event of an intrusion (I have the app set as a priority in Android so it goes off even if I have it in “Do not disturb” ode). This defeats the purpose of the $$$ I’ve spent for this system. I also have an Arlo system, which does allow me to change the notification. Guess which one I am recommending.

3 Likes

This is an app I found to change the sound or customize one :slight_smile:

Hi @Rancho,

I can assure you that the Blink Staff does not dismiss any suggestion as trivial. I may be wrong, but I believe we are testing new sounds out through the beta versions of the app that many Community Members are a part of. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our products, particularly based off of suggestions from you guys. This does not mean, however, that they can be implemented immediately, as we do not have a huge staff, and are always working on new projects.

1 Like

Not sure why you would go through the process of testing new sounds when you can simply allow the user to select their own like most apps. I myself use a downloaded alarm sound that is not part of the standard Android notifications. Let the users decide.

Thanks Mark, I saw that but was hesitant to use it because similar apps I’ve used in the past caused issues with my phone. May give it a whirl.

1 Like

Beta is allowing you to choose a custom sound

Just an update for Android Users

App release next week will allow users to customize sound and vibration.

For 8.0 Oreo Users, you will be able to customize the sound, notification dot, vibration, Override do not Disturb, Snooze etc per notification category!

Thanks,
Anand

1 Like