Community Wishlist For App & Camera Upgrades

Feedback + experience + feature request — TL;DR below

Some background on my reasons for getting these cameras and for the features I’m hoping to see … I need to catch a suspected mail thief. I was looking for small, discrete battery powered cameras with IR and motion sensing as the main issues I was facing were that the mailbox is 100’ away from my house so no wifi, nowhere to mount cameras in a way that will work well and no power. The camera features, size and battery fit my needs after I upgraded my network with some high-powered directional range extenders.

I purchased two XT cameras and have one sitting on a hidden platform in my yard giving a wide-angle view of the mailbox and street. The other is inside of my mailbox (speed tested @ 30/6 Mbit sustained connection from inside).

Overall, I think they work pretty well however I really think the hardware/firmware needs to be tweaked as they must either have very low-grade antennas or the wifi chip is doing some kind of power modulation with them. With my network, there is zero overlap in wifi channels and even with the camera and sync module close to any of the antennas I have, one minute the status is full-green/full-green and then next 1-red/4-green or 2-yellow/2-yellow, etc. It makes no sense and seems to be the cause for a lot of hiccups with updating settings, live-capture and upload/notification delay. I’d rather have to replace the batteries twice as often to maintain consistent connection.

I would really love the ability for one camera in a system to trigger all cameras in that system. I have the wide angle to get a recording of if the person was on foot or in a vehicle and the direction they came and went however I can not have the motion sensor enabled as it will go off every 20 seconds. If however, the motion sensor on the camera inside the mailbox goes off, it can only be caused by someone opening the mailbox in which case I absolutely want a wide-angle recording to go with it. Unfortunately this is impossible. Even if the camera notified me the exact second it was triggered and and I didn’t have to wait for the recording/notification delay, I still can’t immediately start a manual recording (probably the most widely requested feature) on the wide-angle.

Unfortunately, the way I had the camera mounted in the mailbox wasn’t perfect and the mail carrier yesterday inadvertently caused it to fall face-down when opening or closing the mailbox and I wasn’t able to deal with it right away. At 5:18am this morning I got a motion alarm and mail was taken but nothing visible on the recording because it was face-down. Not the the camera’s or Blink’s fault there, just an unfortunate coincidence. That being said, if one triggered the other, I’d still have the wide-angle recording of the person and/or vehicle.

I did call the support line to talk to tech-support about if this was possible and some other questions.
I work in tech so my bias aside of call-center locations and expected product knowledge of people answering, I think the staff there need more training. I’ll just say while they were nice and tried to be helpful, the call was unproductive and in the end, I was told I could initiate manual recording anytime from the live camera viewing.

TL;DR – Allow for one motion alarm in a system to trigger all cameras to immediately start recording. And I do mean immediately, not after the upload is complete.

1 Like

The chipset and WiFi radio chipset were designed to be super low power consumption which is why these cams can run so long on 2 AA lithium batteries.

The cams PIR sensor is triggered with motion as you know and the cam records, (instead of live streaming) then after it’s done recording it uses a short powerful WiFi burst to upload the clip to the cloud. Then sends you an alert.

Also you cannot manually record video in live view.

@Bob_at_Blink, @nick_at_blink

suggest to add a button for continuous live view mode. currently, when in live view mode, one has to press continue every 30 seconds to keep live video feed running

2 Likes

Hey nick & hgallison. I’m new to this forum and I actually haven’t received my blink system yet but I ordered it on prime day and should be here in a few weeks(sold out). I’ve been on here reading all the sugegstions praises and complaints and I second all those suggestion about being able to record while watching live. instead of having a continue button a record one would make the competition not even worth considering. HuThe option of being able to use the USB port on the module to record locally is also just as important/wanted.

Now if I may I might have a solution for hgallisons problem. If and only if you’re using android instead of ios then there’s a way to have two accounts using one device. Some Android devices allows for multiple users on one device. Each user has their own Google account and apps and theoretically you’d be able to download the blink app and set up 2 accounts on one Android device. I use this feature for clash of clans on my Samsung S8 using (secure folder) which is not quite a second user but works similarly in that you have two seperate app ecosystems. Score 1 Android.

I hope this works for you because it seems a shame to miss out on an otherwise apprently cool product over a seemingly simple missing feature :wink: cough NAS cough record live stream :wink:

1 Like

Thanks, marktheknife and Fastestflash, for the suggestions for work-arounds for the " no multiple accounts on one device" limitation. I have an Android phone (Samsung S6). After considering both the multiple Google accounts and the IFTTT ideas, I found another solution that is working very well for me.

It turns out that there is a large selection of apps in the Google Play store that are designed to facilitate the use of multiple social media accounts simultaneously on Android devices. I downloaded and installed one called Parallel Space, and added the Blink app to it. I can now log in to my Mom’s Blink account via my regular Blink app, and log into my Mother-in-Law’s Blink account via the Blink app inside the Parallel Space app. Once logged in to both accounts, I can close both Blink apps (and also Parallel Space if I want), and I receive notifications from both Blink accounts / systems in a timely fashion, and can view the clips from either camera system with a simple swipe and a tap. After a little experimentation with my phone settings to make sure that notifications from Parallel Space were not being blocked, this is working so well, I happily forked over $9.99 for the ad-free version of the app.

For the record, I have no affiliation with this product or the developer; I’m simply a satisfied customer. There are many other apps in the Google Play store that advertise the same multi-account capability, though I imagine they all work slightly differently. Hopefully this info will help others like me (at least those with Android devices) to find a good work-around until Blink offers multiple account capability, or at least user account controls, in the Blink app.

7 Likes

Hey @hgallison,

Thanks for sharing! I think that’s really useful information for many of our customers!

@nick_at_blink . . . does that mean if you want two (or more) Blink systems monitored on the same phone but with different logins that you would have to log out of one and then log into the other? If so, I’m guessing that you would only receive notifications from the one you’re logged into? Is there anything in the works to upgrade the software that will allow for this since it appears as many people are coming across this issue?

1 Like

You are guessing correctly, though if you read back through the last 10 or so posts in this thread, the answers to your questions should be pretty clear.

The feature I would really love to see pics the ability to turn on a second camera based on the trigger of the first camera. Practical application, package thefts at front door. Many times it would be nice to have a camera directed to the street to capture activity of of view, such as a car parked out on the street. We have had thefts but couldn’t see the car they left in after stealing item. You don’t want to record all activity on the street, just when an event occurs on a second camera.

But that can get tricky because Blink cameras record for only a set period of time, and then won’t start recording again til the retrigger time has elapsed.

So if motion is triggered on camera #1, which then triggers camera #2, it’s entirely possible that camera #2 records nothing of interest. But then when something actually does move into its field of view, camera #2 doesn’t record because it’s still timed out after finishing the last recording.

Sometimes it’ll work the way you’re envisioning I suppose, but other times it could make it less likely to capture suspicious activity.

Decrease the amount of time it takes from motion trigger to first video.
Allow the camera to ignore areas such as trees blowing in the breeze of the upper corner of the camera screen.
Allow the user to disable the blue “recording” light.
Allow the user to schedule arm and disarm times per camera.

Which camera are you referring to, the original indoor camera or the XT outdoor camera? The blue recording light can be disabled only with the XT, there’s a small switch located in the battery compartment to do so.

1 Like

Completely understand. The limitation with all motion activated cameras is that they only record be when triggered. You can’t setup a camera by default to monitor street activity as it will be recording constantly. I can’t tell you how many people in my neighborhood have motion based cameras and then catch some suspecious activity near the house but they can never get good footage of the vehicle those people arrived in. With 24x7 systems you can dedicate a camera to record the street without having alerts tied to them.

That’s what my Ring Doorbell Pro does!

Would be great to have some sort of “snapshot” icon in the app to save a screenshot of a particular moment or two.

Also would eventually love something like Ring offers, where you can outline a particular area to watch.

Just installed it this weekend, so far fairly happy for the price. Looking to catch some guys in the neighborhood that have been rifling through unlocked cars.

You can do this by using your phone’s screenshot function while a video is playing in fullscreen (or paused to get a better quality still frame).

Am i the only one who has issues plugging into a micro usb when my camera is mounted to a wall? I have to add a few spacers to give me some distance to install the mirco usb. I would like to see something happen with this.

I know a few companies have created housings which I might give a try that should reslove this issue.

I want on demand recording. screaming lady in the street all night long like a zombie all twacked out on dope but never was in range to trigger the camera, and i was too chicken to go outside to trigger my cam myself. wished i could capture the audio cause she was loud as hell and wanted to share it with my friend.

1 Like

How about placing the live camera icon next to the actual camera it serves. Or at least define the borders so that there is a clear visual separation between each camera.