Can't send video clips via Message or Email options

Recently activated my Blink XT system. It’s working great but I can’t send any video clips. When I try to add a clip to a Message, the number of the clip is highlighted but the highlighted number also includes the first digit of the month. As such, when the message is received the highlighted clip number is interpreted as a phone number and the clip can not be viewed (clicking on the 10 digit number transfers the recipient to their phone screen). When trying to send a clip to an email address, I can fill in the address and the video clip shows as an attached file, but there is no “send” button or any other way to actually send the clip to the intended recipient.

I have reinstalled the Blink app but nothing solves the problem. It’s very limiting to not be able to send selected clips.

2 Likes

Hi @ptandy,

What apps are you using to share the videos with? And what device is the person using that you are trying to send the video to? Also, are you sharing the video from the video player, or from a video you downloaded?

Thanks,
Julian

Julian: I’ve talked with Blink technical rep and still no way to send videos via “Message” option. I can send via email but not being able to send via Message function is a real problem. Blink continues to add an extra digit to the clip serial number (it adds the first digit of the date line). The extra digit continues to cause the video clip to be interpreted as a 10 digit phone number. Someone at Blink should have solved this for me by now - I can’t believe I’m the only one who has experienced this anomaly. It’s enough to have me reconsider my choice to select blink for my security needs…

@ptandy the serial number you are seeing is the name of your camera. Try renaming the camera in the camera settings in the blink app and then try sharing a new clip. Unfortunately old clips will still have the old camera name on them, so you’ll have to try with a new clip.

dennis

Dennis: Renaming camera did not help. The new name (“tandy”) showed up in the message but was not highlighted in blue when I sent the video clip via “Message” . As such, there was no way to “click” on the clip to view it. As I’ve been telling Blink for a long time, I still can’t send my clips via the “Message” option. I can not believe I’m the only one having this problem and hope that someone from Blink will contact me to work this out once and for all. I have reset the name of my camera to the original serial number and await some further assistance.

Tandy 707 888 3799

1 Like

Hi again @ptandy,

The video clip sent via your phone’s messaging app should not be clickable for we only add the camera name and a brief message explaining the video is from Blink. However, if your Camera name is the serial number, there is a chance that the person you are sending it to is mistaking the name of the camera to be a link to the video, while their phone recognizes it as a phone number. The actual video should be attached to the message and sent via your carrier’s Multimedia Messaging Service to the person you are sending the video to, similarly to how you’d send a photo message. Unlike a youtube video, which would be sent as a link to the video the recipient of the message would click on to view. Our video should be embedded within your text message.
If the video you are trying to send is long, then it will be a large file. There is a chance that your carrier might not allow files of such a large size to be sent via their Multimedia Messaging Service. In which case, you might want to send it via Email or upload it to a file sharing service such as Dropbox or Google Drive and give the other person a link to it.
If you think that this is not the problem, I would appreciate a screenshot of the issue you are having so I can more understand it.

-Julian

I also am unable to send clips via the built in messaging app in IOS 10 on my iphone 7. Seems like a really basic feature. Any fix for this?

With some clips (typically long or ones with more activity in them), the sharing functionality in the app will not work when sharing directly to iMessage. We are currently investigating why this is happening. But in the meantime, you should be able to save the clip to your Camera Roll and then share it from the Camera Roll to messages like you would with any video or photo you would take on your iPhone.

I appreciate the reply but that info is NOT correct at least for me. I cannot send the clips even after saving to my camera roll.

I would like to troubleshoot this more with you. Can you open a support ticket at http://support.blinkforhome.com/customer/portal/emails/new and mention in it that Dennis asked you to open the ticket?

Thanks!

I’m having the same problem. I can not send video clips via messaging from the Blink app on my iPhone or iPad either. Further if I save the video to the iPhone or iPad, it will still not send via messaging. This occurs over both home WiFi and cell network.

After saving the video to my iPhone or iPad, I can email the video. The playback on my laptop after saving the video from the email is hit or miss also. Sometimes it plays, sometimes it doesn’t. Almost like there is a naming or encoding problem for the video.

Hi @KAK,

How long are the clips you are trying to send? I ask because, @Dennis_at_Blink, mentioned above that there seems to be an issue with sharing longer clips directly to imessage. If you are continuing to have this issue, feel free to submit a support ticket here, so we can look into the issue further,

Hello Nick,

The clips are from 4 seconds to 20 seconds long. In addition to not being able to send the clips from the Blink app via messaging or email, another problem is that when the clips are saved on the iPad or iPhone Photos app, you still can’t share the video even outside of the Blink app in messaging. The only way to share the video is by saving it and emailing it after it is saved. I’ll open a support ticket. Thanks for the reply.

Just want to add that I am also not able to send video clips via app for iPhone 7+, even if I save it to camera roll and try to send, still doesn’t work☹️

Hey @jayO,

I would recommend opening a support ticket here, so we can resolve this issue for you!

My experience has been that I can send Blink clips via iMessage or email. For iMessage the clip limit is 10 seconds. Any longer than that and it fails to send. I’m using an iPhone 7plus running iOS 11.

I had this problem. Workaround is to save it to photos. Then go into it and shorten the clip. That allowed me to send the video in messaging.

I am also unable to send any videos in iOS. Support is not helpful. Have to save it, resize it, then send

This is a copy from a post earlier but explains my problem to a t…videos are 15-25 seconds long

I can not send video clips via messaging from the Blink app on my iPhone or iPad either. Further if I save the video to the iPhone or iPad, it will still not send via messaging. This occurs over both home WiFi and cell network.

After saving the video to my iPhone or iPad, I can email the video. The playback on my laptop after saving the video from the email is hit or miss also. Sometimes it plays, sometimes it doesn’t. Almost like there is a naming or encoding problem for the video.

I have read through here and do not see a solution, unless I am missing it.

I am trying to send a text of videos via Imessage or text and some will fail to send no matter what I try while others will send without a problem. Most failures are for 10-20 second clips.
I have downloaded the videos, emailed, converted, Etc and the ones that fail will continue to fail no matter what. Is there some header differences that cause this or is there a solution?

Thanks,
Bill