Can not view video on Echo Spot

I have been trying to connect Blink to Alexa for the last week. I have been in contact with both Blink and Amazon support and so have been through all the possible fixes several times. When I ask Alexa to show me the camera I get a “waiting for Blink” screen that persists for about a minute and then an audio message “The camera isn’t responding” I get the same on my Spot and Find HD 10.

Amazon replaced my spot but this has made no difference.

I can view video via the Blink app and I can arm/disarm the system via Alexa but no matter what I do, I can not view video via Alexa.

At the moment everything is in the same room as the router and so there is no signal issue.

I have a Virgin Superhub 3 which is not the best but I have no other issues with Alexa. The only thing I have not tried is a factory reset on the router.

I have been in contact with Jade at Blink support to no avail. I’m just being told that this is not a known issue.

I’m guessing it’s either a router issue or a perhaps a camera issue but I can not see anything wrong with the router settings.

Does anyone have any ideas before I return the system?

3 Likes

I’m having the same problems as Geoman , only difference being my broadband is with sky q. Very frustrating as one of the reasons going with Blink was its an Amazon company so would expect it to work perfectly with other Amazon products.

1 Like

Sort of similar issues here! Just installed 2nd camera. My Echo Show shows 1st camera perfectly. The new 2nd camera is not found or recognized. I even disabled and re-enabled the “Blink” skill for Echo. HELP!

I’ve returned mine yesterday and am thinking about whether to order another while they are on offer or go with a different system. Blink have not responded to my messages for a couple of days. Being an Amazon company, I would expect this to work seamlessly and not spend 5 days troubleshooting. In their defence, Amazon have been great and sent me a replacement spot, just in case that was the cause. Blink have not been so good.

It’s a shame as everything else works perfectly and from what I have seen, it’s a good system, but I need to to work with Alexa.

I bought an Amazon Show to display the live video feed from my Blink camera comforted by the fact that Alexa integration with Blink camera was seamless. Yeah right! Having spent far too long watching my Show displaying “Connecting to Blink” I contacted Blink customer services. Naively you might think that you could pick up the phone and talk to a highly competent Blink engineer. Sadly not. All Blink support is conducted by e-mail. It works like this: you send an e-mail going into great detail about your issue. After a few hours you get an e-mail back suggesting something you have already tried. You write back and wait a few hours to get a response. Repeat ad naseum. Come on Blink! I love your product but such a good idea deserves much better customer service. Sadly I never did get the Show to work so I returned it to Amazon. Their customer service was as always excellent.

1 Like

I know what you mean about Blink. This was their final response to me “We have checked to our back of house team and I was advised that what we can do is only to enable the ability to access Blink to Alexa. In terms of technical issue we advise to contact Alexa cause we don’t have any details on how to troubleshoot the issue.” So basically they blame Amazon. So an Amazon owned company, whose product does not work as advertised, passes the buck and blames Alexa.

I have ordered a replacement from Amazon, just in case I had a faulty unit. I really can not fault Amazon for their Customer Service and I think Blink is a good concept but hopefully these two companies will learn to work together.

1 Like

I bought an echo show for my daughter and a spot for my wife expressly for viewing our blinks. I’m going to be so pissed if they don’t work.

1 Like

After some very minor troubleshooting with Blink they have come back to me are blaming Amazon for the issue and suggest i take it up with them! Shame really as the cameras are working for me as they should apart from the alexa integration which was probably the number one reason for purchase.

1 Like

Regarding Amazon Devices - you may want to read warranty limitations before you purchase rather than purchase with assumptions that a combination of various Amazon brands mixed together will work. Especially on wireless networks with other stuff already on the buyer’s home network. There are simply way too many variables and network conflicts to say yes it will work.

Below is the Amazon Devices statement for warranty limitations.

Limitations. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE WARRANTY AND REMEDIES SET FORTH ABOVE ARE EXCLUSIVE AND IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES AND REMEDIES, AND WE SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM ALL STATUTORY OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND AGAINST HIDDEN OR LATENT DEFECTS. IF WE CANNOT LAWFULLY DISCLAIM STATUTORY OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, THEN TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ALL SUCH WARRANTIES SHALL BE LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE DURATION OF THIS EXPRESS LIMITED WARRANTY AND TO REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT SERVICE.

The above is from this link
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201014520

Make sure both Blink skills on your Alexa app is enabled. Go into your Alexa app and run discover Devices. After it runs and is completed. Go back into the Alexa app disable and enable both skills. If that doesn’t work your spot needs more wifi signal.

Previously there were two Blink skills in the Alexa app. Features were mereged into one Blink skill in October, which is the “Blink Smart Home” skill. Echo Spot and Blink are working fine for me

I noticed that two devices are discovered by Alexa - the camera and the hub. both were discovered and enabled.

I have a replacement system now so when I get chance I’ll set it up and see what happens.

Hi All,

Going forward, if you have any issue with Alexa integration, I would recommend contacting support directly! This should work on your Blink cameras, so they will be able to help troubleshoot!

I did contact Blink support directly but they directed me through a series of ‘fixes’ from a script that I had already tried. I followed them again but support eventually blamed Alexa and told me to contact Amazon. I did this and Amazon replaced my Echo Spot which did not solve the problem. I therefore returned the system to Amazon and ordered a new one.

The new system arrived and I have just set it up, precisely as I set up the first account (several times) and this system works perfectly with Alexa. I can view video on my Spot, Fire TV and Fire tablet.

I can only therefore assume that there was some sort of fault with the original Blink system.

@Geoman, @DaveW, @garymohn, @Philip_Brunsdon We definitely appreciate everyone’s patience. I believe we discovered the cause of the problems that you’ve all been experiencing. The firmware update that’s being pushed out today should resolve your Alexa issues. I would recommend trying it again tonight and tomorrow morning. If the issue is resolved, great! If not, reach back out to us at support and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Adam
Blink Technical Support

Firmware update has fixed the problem! Thanks Blink team I’m now a very happy customer and the system is working perfectly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, all fixed here too.

1 Like

I just received my Blink system and there was a firmware update during installation, but I am running into this same issue. Any advice?

Hi @GeminiMKX,

In that case, definitely contact support so they can assist further!

I just bought new Blink XT2 system (3 cams) and Echo Show. All firmware was updated to the latest. I can see Blink camera feeds on the Android app, but when I try on Show, it just shows indefinite “waiting for Blink” screen, but I get audio feed. Any suggestions?