Cameras and customer service useless

Well hello all,
I bought a 2 pack set of the Blink XT2 cameras, fitted really easily and got them working…
Then I decided to tweak the settings in the camera, I wanted longer clips, but only if there was motion present, so I set the clip length to 30 secs, and also enabled the “end clip early if no motion” option…well what a waste of time that was…every time I tested and created motion within the zone, if would record at max 13 seconds, even with me jumping around in front of the camera…

So then I decided to email Blink, and that’s where I was ready to throw the camera in the bin, and they annoyed me so much…
They would not read my messages properly and could not understand what I was asking…
I asked, why I could only get a 13 second clip when it was set to 20 secs, and there was motion in the zone for the full 20 seconds…
You think a simple enough question…well I Have had eight replies, all saying this…

Turn off the “end clip early if no motion option” and you will get the full 20 seconds clip…

Dohhhhhh yes I realise that but it’s supposed to record the full length that is set, when there is motion… correct…??
Well it never does, it always ends early but even when motion still present…

Or am I missing something…:thinking::thinking::rage::rage:
Olly

Do your homework before you buy or do your homework after you buy. The choice is yours. Most people choose the later, when they are forced to do the homework because things don’t work as advertised.

Below is 50+ message threads for end motion early. Most of them agree, it doesn’t work well.

https://community.blinkforhome.com/search?q=end%20motion%20early

Well that’s all well and good, but this was the worst of many issues, and if it does not work well, then why couldn’t they just say that in the emails to me…or do they refuse to admit that it is a problem…

Just to be clear, can you get a 20 second clip, if you do turn it off? It’s an important question. I’m sure you can, but check it, if you haven’t already. If they always end at 13 seconds, setting on or off, then you need to look elsewhere for the issue.

Actually 13 seconds was the longest as I said before, there were all amounts from 7 to 13 seconds, but never 20, which was the clip length and with motion always constant in the zone…

Oh, and yes with the “stop recording if no motion” is off it does the clip length whatever I set it at every time, so it is that option that is failing…

Fair enough. Sounds like it’s what Joel referred to then. Lots of discussion.

Here is another issue, the road and footpath area is 40 feet away, from my house, and I have this area all greyed out in the app yet it still goes off when cars go
Past, (it won’t let me upload the video to show…)
So any ideas why this should happen, I though the cameras only worked up to 25 feet, and the area is greyed out anyway…:rage::rage:

Upload your video to a hosting site, such as youtube, and post the link here.

Ah, good idea…
Here you go, it’s right at the very beginning when the van goes past, and that area is at least 35 feet from the camera and greyed out too…

That’s a very quick response from the camera (IMO). The vehicle is just entering the FoV, and the camera is already recording. I wonder if there is a reflection off the car’s windshield.

Random thought…

Jog the video back and forth, at the start, keep dragging the dot on the bar back to the start, and you will see huge movement on the floor, as a dark grey shadow forms behind the little border, and tracks across your paving. Comes at least to half way up your vehicle.

Wow, is that really enough to set off the camera, even the area of that shadow is 20-25 feet from the camera…
And yet when I have the “stop recording if not motion”, option set it stops way before the preset clip length when I am jumping up and down in front of the camera 10 feet away…ridiculous and so inconsistent…

My wife has just been out to Post a letter, and she walked from the front door and around the left of my car and along the footpath to the right…so much closer to the camera, and when she came back it did not pick her up till she was six feet from the front door, so it picks up a shadow from 25 feet away, but not a body until it’s on top of the camera…
Which is downright ridiculous considering these sensors are supposed to work on heat sensors, so where is the heat from the shadow…?
They are so inconsistent and total rubbish…:rage::rage:

Yes, definitely enough, and unrelated to the issue of ‘end clip early’, but I take your point.

Different technologies being used. Initial detection is looking for a change in infrared, which a shadow moving across the ground is. Cold, hot, cold, etc. It’s detected by the PIR sensor, which is most sensitive to a change in an IR signal which moves across the sensor, as in your example.

The most recent example looks about right. 15 to 20 feet away, and detected when they get near enough to interfere with your property. Rubbish, well maybe, but if you only just got them, and believe them to be rubbish from the get go, I doubt you will ever be satisfied, regardless of what you might change to improve things. I can only assume that’s why the thirty day no quibble return option is made available.

When you setup your camera, you should have got a pic in the mobile app that tells you what to avoid. The avoid things are items that will set the camera off.

You have 4 of them. Foliage, shadows, item detection directly towards camera, and vehicle traffic in background. You also have the #1 setup complaint from MANY customers in this forum That setup is the short driveway with vehicle traffic right behind that driveway.

That setup does not work well. You have 4 avoidance items that cause camera to not work well. You also are finding out that activity zones does not work well - especially at blocking out the HUGE heat signature from motor vehicles.

MOVE THE CAMERA is your fix.

Well that is all just ridiculous…I have to have the camera on the front of the house, so people are always gonna be walking towards, hence why I put it on the corner so it is a slight angle…
Second, many people will have shrubbery in a garden, so that also will also always be an issue…
And a path that leads straight to the house, again most people have…
So whoever designed these cameras need to get in the real world…
Absolute joke,…:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Oh, and how do I control the sun and shadows…:thinking::thinking:
The person who designed these is a complete idiot…
And yet other similar priced cameras don’t have such issues…:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Yes they do. On a daily basis people complain about those same issues you are having. Nest, Ring, Arlo, Wyze, yada yada yada. Go to their brand review pages and you’ll read about them. Why are they all the same? Because they ALL use the 2 dollar assembly called a PIR sensor with many of them also using the domed Fresnel lens for motion detection.

You either move your camera, or box it up and get a refund. Your choice. Again, your short driveway setup pointed right down the driveway is the #1 doesn’t work complaint I read about over and over again.

For the existing camera position you want, get a Wireless IP or a POE camera that records 24/7 to a hard drive. You will be MUCH happier.

Well, as I said in the last post, I purposely put it up on the corner of the house, so it DOES NOT point straight down the drive, but actually from corner to corner…
I did this as I said it work better if people cross the sensor rather than move straight at it, it was the best place, or it would have been directly straight…if it had been in the middle of the house…
So where do you suggest it’s moved to, as nowhere else on the front of the house will be better, yet you keep saying to move it…WHERE TOO !!? Maybe onto my neighbors house… :joy::joy: