Camera using Battery or external Power source

How do know that a camera is on external power?

have a camera with batteries, but also plugged a power source into it. How do I know if it’s running off batteries or external power?

Thanks

If the camera is plugged in with the USB it should be running strictly on USB power. I would suggest removing the batteries while on the USB to ensure this is true, however.

@Tori_At_Blink,
is this documented somewhere that the batteries need to be removed with plugged into external power?

Does the camera know that it currently has external power and to not use the batteries?

Thanks
James

James,

I have looked into the matter and want to note that since the goal of the camera is to be wireless, the batteries will be the first thing to take the charge for the camera. This being the case, the batteries will need to be removed in order to work on strictly USB power. I hope this answers your question!

UPDATE:

I want to apologize here as there may have been some confusion on my end when answering this post. When using the USB power on a camera, we use the line power first and don’t use battery, if you unplug line power, we fallback to battery. However, the camera will function better when the batteries are removed while using USB power. Again I apologize for this misinformation and I hope this sheds some light on the situation for you all.

1 Like

Thanks @Tori_At_Blink

Yes it does, but it’s backwards.

The Goal is to have a functioning camera first, If there is External Power then that should be used first. If External Power is lost then the batteries should kick in, not the other way around. ( just saying )

It’s a COOL, Awesome, Unique and Very useful Feature to have the Camera run wirelessly, but it should not be the goal.

At this time it is one of the main selling points for our cameras, which is why we have it functioning this way. However, I do agree that it could be improved in the way that you have mentioned. I do know of many other products who have the battery back up function like you are mentioning here and I agree that it could be a great addition to the camera. Do you think this should be a feature of all cameras or an additional option for a “different type” of camera? Do you have any ideas on how we could implement something like this without taking away the excitement of the wireless feature?

Thanks for the response @Tori_At_Blink.

Working for the #1 android phone maker, we also have awesome battery powered devices; however we also see that there is value in using the power coming from a USB port first then transitioning to onboard battery power if the USB port no longer supplies power.

Think of it this way with the Blink cameras, we all enjoy having wireless (both connectivity and power); however we also understand that if I can plug in the camera to a dedicated USB power source this “should” extend the batteries out “indefinately” (within standard battery sitting idle life time).

This is not much to ask and does not ruin the “excitement of the wireless feature”.

@Dave_sasw I wholeheartedly agree with you, Dave! I’m not sure this is something we are currently looking into, but I will be sure it is added into our conversation about camera updates!

Please do add this feature. For people like me that will have the cameras in another country where I cannot change the batteries often, this would be the best option.

Hi All! Just wanted to reiterate the update I made to one of my posts earlier. You can see the update below:

UPDATE:

I want to apologize here as there may have been some confusion on my end when answering this post. When using the USB power on a camera, we use the line power first and don’t use battery, if you unplug line power, we fallback to battery. However, the camera will function better when the batteries are removed while using USB power. Again I apologize for this misinformation and I hope this sheds some light on the situation for you all.

1 Like

Can you give more detail on how it would work better?

Sure! So as I had noted, if USB power fails, it will fall back on your battery power to power the camera. This can be tricky in areas where power outages happen often or during times where storms and other weather events can cause your power to fail. In these cases, if your power goes out and it falls on battery power to function this may drain your batteries without your knowledge. When power returns the USB cable will power the camera again, and give you a “full battery” reading but the actual batteries could possibly be drained. This is why we recommend choosing either fully battery usage or full hard-wire (USB power) usage to avoid pitfalls like this. However, you can absolutely choose to use USB power with the battery back-up and should not encounter issues.

I’m not sure if this is practical but how about a weather proof solar panel and external rechargeable battery pack that plugs into the USB port? I have solar powerd lights around my home that work very well this way.

I might try this if I get more XT camera and place 1 or 2 outside.
Until then I’m in a holding pattern.
Current XT is indoors to keep an eye on my mom, mainly wanted the IR to see at night. Camera is connected to power and has been doing it’s job. Can things be better yes they can. just not enough steam right now in me.

I am going to try and hook up outdoor camera using solar battery backup such as this zerolemon solarjuice 8000mAh waterproof battery pack. I am currently testing XT indoors using zerolemon 10000mAh pack. I still need the AA batteries installed in camera for extra battery protection but when camera takes picture/video the external battery turns on. I guess you could remove them if you wanted.

My theory is the AA will be used during stand by time only and external is being drawn for more powerful times. Zerolemon says in direct sunlight the pack will recharge to 30%. So in three days if pack is depleted will be fully charged. It has two ports for cameras 1A and 2.4A.

I should be able to hook up three cameras if I can split the power from the one USB port running at 2.4Amps. This should let all three cameras run at full power mode without over driving battery.

Right now Amazon has them the cheapest at $20. https://www.amazon.com/8000mAh-Charger-ZeroLemon-SolarJuice-Portable/dp/B00NIOGKHM

So it looks like the zerolemon stopped responding to the camera when it activated. This will probably work better if the internal batteries are not installed. Trying this next.

Doesn’t the zerolemon output shut off after several minutes of no power being drawn from it. Even three Blink cameras at idle shouldn’t be enough of a load to trick zerolemon into operation

Any updates?

I understand a bit more now, Blink XT ‘my problem’ camera USB powered with batteries in, App shows battery low, then dead, camera stopped working - took it appart to find out the batteries were OK !! … crazy, so leaving batteries in as a standby for power cuts would be pointless ?.
So will run only on USB power, to see if it thinks I’m using batteries. ------- So app dosen’t check the batteries !! Just how many recordings the camera takes !! ? Thinking out loud. … still confused. Do I have a faulty camera ?.

If you have no power what’s the use of battery back up when the module does not use battery. Its senseless to have the batteries in.