Blink begins recording late

My Blink camera picks up motion late so I only get the tail end of someone walking past the camera. For example we have a coyote that has been passing through my side yard. The camera is pointed in the direction of his travel but the camera only pick up a few seconds as he walks past the camera so I only catch his hind quarter as he walk past though he is walking towards the camera for a good 20 feet before he passes the camera. It was about 7:15 am so there is daylight. Is there a sensitivity setting I can adjust? Thanks.

Arthur

Blink is designed to catch the rather larger human type intrusion, so you may not be as successful with smaller visitors. However, post up your tail end video, and someone will be able to make suggestions to assist, if that’s what you’re most interested in.

In terms of how sensitive it is, there is a setting, and it’s called ‘Sensitivity’, and can be found in the settings of each camera. Default value is 5, and higher is more sensitive. Choosing a higher value may help to trigger it sooner, but it may also come with the drawback of more false triggers, and wasted battery.

Thank you. I adjusted the sensitivity so hopefully that helps. Not sure how to save the clip unless I have to take the memory stick out of the sync unit and attach it to my computer.

I think you can share / save any videos and still frame pictures by hitting the share icon after the video stops. It’s a little box with a vertical arrow at the end of the video.
Share it to yourself or to your camera roll on your phone. Hope this helps

If the subject is moving straight towards the camera from a distance rather than entering frame from left to right or right to left across the field of view, the technology in these cameras struggles quite a bit to pick up the movement. This has come up before. Read this thread for more info. My contribution is the 10th post down in the thread…

I am having this exact issue. However, I increased sensitivity and now it never stops recording because bugs trigger it. I am trying to catch humans coming on my porch and cutting thru my yard but it doesn’t catch them except the tail end. It records great when someone is walking away from it though. Ive gotten 10 notifications just now in 1-2 minutes and all it is is blank which has to be bugs flying around it. Ugh!!

Almost all battery cameras are designed to be in sleep mode to save battery life. They switch on when they sense motion and start recording. This means they can miss motion at the beginning. If a delivery person is quick at dropping a package on the porch, the camera may only catch their back as they are walking away. The only way to have better performance is a camera that has pre motion or what’s called pre roll feature. This buffers and saves several seconds of video before movement is detected so you get the whole event. Blink does not have this feature. Ring and other brands have this feature but you’ll need to pay monthly subscription for it to work. The best cameras are wired, doorbell or POE power over ethernet cameras that can record 24/7. Other brands also have human and vehicle detection settings which stops most flying insects, shadow annoying notifications. Blink does not have this either. Blink is a good basic system but lacks features other brands have. You might try moving the camera at a different angle to capture human traffic sooner. Adjusting the sensitivity takes time to get it to work the best. Two years ago I would have recommended Blink to everybody. But honestly Blink is so far behind, still only 1080 resolution, no human detection, no spotlight, no siren, firmware and storage problems, etc. better brands are available. More brands are offering human vehicle detection to reduce false alerts, who knows if Blink will ever have it. There are YouTube channels that compare brands and features such as LifeHackster, this might help you. Good luck.

As part of my testing, and also to help people on this forum, I made videos to show how quickly a Blink camera wakes up, and starts recording. I like to show these videos from time to time, or similar, to dispel the myth that they are too slow to wake up. Not saying there cannot be issues, or that for some they do not record quickly enough, but it is not failure to wake up from deep sleep.

This first one is typical of what I get every single time, unless the paper doesn’t come for some reason. Whatever is delivered, that is where it gets them. Note, this is within about a stride of having come into view. It’s a handy demonstration, because there can be no confusion as to where and when detection was possible. Please note, this guy is walking fairly quickly. To be fair, he gets further into view, before the recording starts, than most do.

This second one, is a test I did, purely to demonstrate the speed. Based on how far I walk, and the speed, counting frames in moviemaker, it turns out to be about 0.2 seconds.

Stop it at the first frame, and you can see I haven’t moved very far. Again, a stride at most, but closer to half a stride.

Whatever anyone’s issue, waking up is not it.

IMO waking up late is an issue with battery cameras as shown on YouTube channel LikeHackster, other channels and many complaints on forums. Life Hackster shows a video of a Ring camera recording late when a porch pirate stole a package. This is especially true when someone is walking straight to the camera. The detection distance is much shorter than going across the field of view, hence the camera may not record the beginning of the event. You could say this has more to do with the motion sensor than a camera waking up, okay. A motion sensor camera does not record until it senses motion. Suttyblink your videos show your cameras are angled so the person walking goes across the FOV, which helps, but your motion is also close to the camera, about 12’ on the first video and what 5’ on the second? Any descent camera should catch most of this movement type. My Blink cameras have recorded late several times with package deliveries only catching the delivery person walking away. But my wired Reolink cams recorded the full events. On Youtube the channel The Hook UP tested cameras for missing events. Even wired POE cameras sometimes missed events, cars driving by, people walking on the sidewalk.

I was fairly sure what your reply would be, and it isn’t relevant. There is no issue with them waking up, it is clear from the videos. To repeat, I get that result every single time someone comes to the door. Detection issues, alignment, proximity, sensitivity settings, poor WiFi, low batteries, there are many reasons, but waking up is not one of them.

Might it be for other brands, I really have no idea, and I don’t concern myself with such things in a Blink forum, but Blink, battery powered cameras, wake up fast, really fast, once motion has been detected.

If motion isn’t detected until later, to trigger the wake up process, then the issue lies elsewhere, though still exists.

I understand the phrase “camera not waking up in time” as generally describing a camera recording late. It is not meant as an actual defect. It just means a camera failed to record the beginning of an event, for whatever specific reason(s). Other people use this phrase as well. It is relevant. It happens. It’s like saying “my car won’t start” without saying why. But perhaps saying “my camera recorded late” is better.

No, it isn’t relevant, but if you believe it to be so, continue to do so, but others need the opportunity to read accurate information. It is spurious, and misleading, to blame it on wake up, and causes people to evade searching for the correct solution to their issues, whatever that may be.

“Oh, nothing I can do then, they take so long to wake up. That’s battery powered stuff for you, I suppose.”

Utter nonsense!

Motion detection circuitry is always on, in a Blink camera, obviously. Pretty much everything else is not. PIR detection is ultra quick, if it is going to do it at all. Check out security lights for evidence of that. If it does it, it will be almost instant and it then triggers the rest of the camera to wake up, which is nowhere near as quick, but still very quick, in a couple of tenths of a second.

It is not by accident that my camera works so perfectly regularly at my front door. As the owner and installer, and tester, when it comes to Blink, I did my homework, tested thoroughly and moved it and adjusted until it worked flawlessly.

If someone chooses to point it down an alley, where the subject walks towards the camera, or expects it to operate at a range of 100 feet from the subject, reliably, or if they have not ensured they have reliable WiFi, or any of a whole host of other possible causes, which can all be addressed, then expect poor results.

But, do not give up on trying to get fast triggers, because of the implication that it is ‘impossible with any battery powered camera, including Blink’, which is simply not true. Blink is super fast.

You refer to the distance in my videos. How has this anything to do with wake up time, which you listed first, and started to describe how it affected all battery cameras. Heck, it doesn’t even affect Blink cameras.

Expect an early trigger from someone heading right at your camera, good luck, you didn’t read the instructions, or anything on this forum. Angle it slightly, you get a good reliable trigger, and then the camera can do its thing waking up, which it will do very quickly.

Every thing else in your first post may well be correct, that there are better cameras out there, I couldn’t say, other than a couple of observations, for example, I doubt it for battery powered, which is essential to me. Pre roll, well obviously that can never work on any battery powered camera. They have to be recording all the time, even if they quickly discard it. 1080, maybe an issue, but it’s good enough for me.

Fine. Techically you are correct. But it’s just a generalization. Spurious, misleading? It’s NOT meant to be. Though you don’t like it, some users will still say “wake up late” or “record late” maybe because they don’t understand what the specific problem is or are still learning how cameras work. It doesn’t bother me. I assume most camera brands trigger fast once motion is detected. The goal is to get them to detect motion in time to catch the full event without getting a lot of annoying false notifications. I’m glad your cameras work 100%.

Install system
Confirm full or at least good wireless signals
Test inside for expected day and night operations. Adjust camera position angle of detection and mobile app settings
Learn what entire package can and can’t do.

Then when your happy and smart, then and only then, is it time to move outdoor rated cameras outside.

Then test everything all over again. When you’re happy and even smarter, then go live.

If Blink told you to do all that, their sales would have crashed. Instead they give you a quick start guide. Slap it up and go live.

One way is long with great end results.
One way is short with half-assed results.

Because Blink is entry level cheap priced, buyers have accepted half-assed. Ok for casual home monitoring. Not good enough for home security. Especially anything mission critical.

1 Like

Great point!