After the free trial/ local storage

So I got this camera because of the local storage and not needing to use cloud storage with a fee.
My free trial of cloud storage is over and I am now using a 128g thumb drive.
First impressions of just this aspect.
In the log of all your clips you no longer see the video in the thumbnail just a play icon. Kind of annoying.
Also no more select all and delete. You have to click each clip and start it to then hit the trash icon.
2 more annoyances to a system that I’m already thinking about replacing.

2 Likes

The missing thumbnails and delete options sound like app issues and are independent of whether local storage works properly.

Many users are interested in the functionality of local storage.

Did you ever think that maybe Blink was teasing you with 30 days of freebies so that you would love em and sign up for them after the trial is done. Of think of it this way, trial is done and so is some of the functionality. Wanna pay you gotta pay is how Blink is rolling nowadays.

It’s not bait and switch, rather it’s marketing. Your new vehicle comes with a free subsciiption to sattelite radio. You get hooked on satellite radio and miss it when subscription ends. Wanna play you gotta pay!

The local drug dealer on the corner gives a meth head a freebie as the person is a newbie. Meth head is hooked and wants more. Wanna play you gotta pay!

Do you see a pattern yet? Free is never free forever. Even AOC knows better.

It was never free in the first place.

There was always the cost of R&D, support, maintenance, etc. If you want features and enhancements to be free these costs would be bundled (rolled) into the base MSRP.

Most people here know how the game of words is played. No cost to consumer = FREE. You know, like the 2 free batteries that are included with the cost of each camera. Of course it’s buried in the cost you pay for the hardware item. Did you pay extra for the mobile app? Nope as it’s free to use also.

Blink’s problem is the long history (since 2014 kickstarter days) of no cost to customer cloud storage has changed. Older grandfathered in customer still gets free cloud storage. However, the new customers now have to make a choice. Time will tell if that change kills Blink sales or not.

Some startups get their funding from venture capitalists. Others from stock and debt offerings.

Kick starters are often used to fund the initial manufacturing run and judge product demand.

https://sec.report/CIK/0001595922

Perfectly ok with not being able to delete all clips at once with loss of subscription, but am wondering what happens when USB flash drive storage capacity is reached. Are oldest clips deleted as new ones are stored? Or will I soon get a message that flash drive is full?

I would swear I saw the answer. But I can’t find the answer on the blink support site.

It might have been as an answer from Heidi_at_Blink on amazon under outdoor camera questions. They are pretty good at answering questions.

Or maybe I just think I saw an answer - caused by licking too many toads.

“I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED!”

Another user dicking around with Blink tech support because my free subscription ended and I foolishly bought into the story of seamless local USB storage. The moment it ended my camera became nothing but a motion sensor alerter and an “on demand” video camera. Absolutely nothing is being stored to the USB even though the sync module says it is ready. Here is the text of the last message from tech support. Obviously English is not the first language.

"Hi XXXXX,

Thank you for your response.

Thank you for providing us access to the account we really appreciate it. Sorry if you misunderstood the email I send you the wrong one my bad for that.
In this case, I make sure to refresh your system on my end. Please let us know if it’s still doing the same thing. Please let us know if the notification issue is still there."

My response was:

"Clips are still not being saved to my local
USB, and the double notifications are still
occurring when motion is detected.

Before I contacted tech support, I deleted and
reinstalled my camera. Am I now going
to need to delete the entire system and
reinstall?

Since the free trial cloud storage ended, my
satisfaction with this system and Amazon
has dropped to zero. This was supposed to
be pretty seamless."

I sent that yesterday afternoon and have heard nothing back.

1 Like

UPDATE ON MY ISSUE…ITS SOLVED!!

When tech support sucks I will hammer them, but when they actually help to solve a problem I will praise them. It is praise here today.

Although the tech support person was following a script that I, as someone that once worked in IT found less than helpful, she did trigger me to think about something that might be causing the problem. I told her that on its face; messing with batteries, formatting the USB stick, and rebooting my router are dumb since the only thing that changed was that my free trial subscription ended, but I would play along. Not only that but I have a better understanding as to how this works without a subscription which I have read much speculation about. My Blink Outdoor system was connected to my home WI-FI “Guest Network” which I had set so that devices on it could not see each other or my other networks. That caused the problem with my camera accessing my Sync Module and local USB storage. When the free trial was happening, the camera was going out to the Amazon servers and worked fine because it was allowed internet access. It needs to communicate DIRECTLY over the local WI-FI to the Sync Module. No Amazon servers are involved with relaying videos as some have said. Once I moved it to my regular WI-FI network, clips began saving to the local USB, and I could view them from the Blink App on my phone. Yes, you have to delete them one at a time, but that could be easily fixed by app developers in the future where you could select multiple clips for deletion.

I try to put devices like this (ROKU, DISH receiver, TV’s, outsiders cell phones, tablets, or laptops) on my guest networks to protect my home computer network. Unfortunately, due to the limitations of my router, I can’t allow guest devices to see each other segregated without opening up the whole router. So I reluctantly moved Blink onto the live network and kept the other stuff on the guest network. I hope hackers never are able to enter my network backwards through a Sync Module, I will have to stay diligent.

1 Like

I think many people are curious to how Blink is going to screw us over … from EVERY angle that we can find out about … You can never be too prepared for the scumbag tactics that this company is gonna dish out to the people that they lie to and deceive into buying their junk systems …

1 Like

I own lots of different types of electronics from smaller to mid-sized companies. I don’t think Blink is any worse then all the others. If you think it is - move on. You might be surprised. And I’ll probably find you posting on the other user forums.

I have three of the cameras and the problem I’m having with the local storage is once they’ve been triggered one time and make a clip no matter what new clips are triggered it keeps playing the old videos even if you delete them through the app they aren’t actually being deleted and no new videos are created this is a terrible bug! I’ve talked to tech support multiple times and they’ve had me reset them wipe and format the USB stick and put it back in and it works a couple of times to record videos but then any new motion events thereafter it only plays old clips not new ones so there’s a serious problem going on with these cameras with USB storage.

This is the same problem I’m having! Have you found any help yet?

Read this. After your free trial is done, the new cameras are basically brain dead.

The inability to delete multiple stored videos on a USB drive is a sales pitch to sell subscription services. However at this point I won’t be buying any more of your cameras because of this it’s just too difficult to go through all these videos one at a time play them and delete them.