Ability to mark a camera as stolen

I have two Blink XT cameras outside, but I am worried that someone might just steal them as they are very easy to take away with no wires etc. My suggestion is to add an option to the app that marks a camera as stolen and if it ever gets connected to a Blink system an IP trace to give location and video is captured and sent back to the original user to forward to the police.

5 Likes

It’s got to be another tool to catch the scum.
Maybe give them the impression they are connecting the system okay, but really it’s just recording faces, logging IP and location.

If they steal your camera they cannot add it to another system while it is listed on yours. As fars as the other suggestions - maybe. I have misgivings with anyone being able to turn recording on my cams without my knowledge.

1 Like

All I can say is be careful for what you wish for because once you open pandora’s box it might be used against you. Just my 2 cents.

3 Likes

Listen, it’s a double edged sword.

1 Like

Nothing would happen until you marked the camera as stolen so once the camera is marked stolen it could be added to another system and it wouldn’t record without your permission without it being marked as stolen which would address privacy concerns

3 Likes

I think the mark as stolen feature would be a reasonable one. It could tell the person adding it that the camera was stolen, like if they purchased it online from the person who stole it (I mean, how many home robbers have a Blink system themselves to add a stolen camera to?).

And maybe Blink could identify the IP address of someone that’s trying to add the stolen camera to another sync module.

But without a subpoena or warrant, the ISP of the person who’s trying to add the stolen camera would never give out any personally identifiable information to allow that individual to be identified.

And sorry, but forget about having the camera arm and record remotely to “catch” the person that’s trying to add the stolen camera. That would open such a gigantic privacy can of worms that Blink wouldn’t want to touch with a 10 foot pole.

3 Likes

I had a similar system on my mobile phone called Cerberus.
Not only helped me track, gave me the ability to record video and voices, or set an alarm.

We all have devices we carry every day that has the ability to be hacked or mispurposed from their intended means, but we allow a certain amount of trust from the manufactures to give us the security and ease of use.

I agree what would be good and what a company would be willing to stick their neck out on are not mutual friends.

It’s a topic that divides.

1 Like

Yeah this is the only issue I have with it. Let’s say I have two cameras stolen and want to replace them. If I have to leave them in my account then they are in the fixed location in the list I would like to add the replacements. Just another call for being able to reorder the list without the add/remove dance. Also I think the mark as stolen option and then allowing it to be hid from the list would also be useful.

2 Likes

Excellent point.
I think, like what has been discussed, Blink could set up an IT ‘blacklist’ on those serial numbers? That would render the camera useless, whether the feature is in the app or a support ticket, whichever is the simplest way for Blink and user.
I would think the stealing of these cameras would be rare.

5 Likes

I hope so! I will let you know if the camera is still there in a few months time. Thank you for the feedback I think the issues highlighted in this discussion thread are all easily addressable - this could even be an optional feature so users with privacy concerns or countries where the law would be prohibitive could opt out.

2 Likes

remove the serial number stickers and keep them in a safe place. if cameras are stolen, no serial numbers to allow cameras to be functional on another system?

1 Like

Stolen cameras can’t function on another system, even if a thief has the serial numbers. The serial numbers are tied to your account when you first activate the cameras. Also this thread is a year old and it appears as though the OP hasn’t logged into the community ever since then.

The OP (me) is still active and still considers this a valid question - the post was more related to allowing perpetrators to be captured rather than stopping them using the cameras at all (which is what most responses pick up on). I still think that some kind of IP trace or location that could be a valuable feature.

Welcome back. I still think that you’d need a warrant or subpoena from law enforcement first, and then perhaps the thief’s ISP would cough up their physical address based on the IP address they used to try to connect to Blink servers.

You are probably right. Isn’t the world we live in fantastic where a criminals rights take priority over preventing/deterring crime in the first place!

3 Likes

Well, either we all have rights like privacy and due process (even criminals), or none of us do.

2 Likes

It is quite possible for these to be stolen easily. Mine was stolen with no footage. Batteries were fine and they always, always recorded footage when removed. Please see my replies to two people that this happened to in the same way and my loophole that I mention. I replied to both with the same answer.

1 Like

not if you are a paying customer. wtf are you even talking about LMAO!! you call technical support with your receipt like its 1955 and then hopefully they have resources to catch your ■■■ using it against him.