2 Year Battery Life?

I tend to use my Blink system for convenience notifications of who’s outside my door. Rather than a component of a security system that can provide iron-clad evidence of a crime that is admissible in court.

That level of expectation has saved me a lot of aggravation.

I know that’s not how they market the cameras, i.e. it is actually marketed as a home security solution. But I also tend not to believe anything I read in marketing materials. Again, saves me the frustration of failing to meet expectations.

There are many other security camera systems with lots of additional features, they tend to cost more.

3 Likes

I agree with you on the marketing and also the other options out there with more features.i know these cams are marketed as security cams, but people have to realize it runs on batteries and there’s limitations or if you’re lucky enough to have an outlet nearby you can power via usb.

I figure these things will most likely catch something on tape at my house, better then no cameras with no chance, vs a couple thousand dollars on PoE cams that will record 24/7 and catch EVERYTHING. This kind of is the old “You get what you pay for”. I think most people are happy with how the blink cams perform.

2 Likes

The cameras would be on if I was not at home…

Do you mean when I am at home? If so i think the Pistol on my hip would handle that situation pretty adequately.

1 Like

Okay. I call bovine excrement on that. Either my camera came with very old batteries or that estimate is way out of line. No way did my garage camera take 4,000 5 second events in a week.

Low wifi signal to a camera or synch module will suck batteries down quick. But a week probably means a defective camera.

The first thing blink tech support will ask you is how many camera are burning up batteries. Then they’ll want serial numbers of those cameras.

They do warranty exchanges remember.

1 Like

we had a discussion here a while back on battery life. Unless you are meeting the minimum use, battery life is no where near 2 years by most people’s experience. But also, remember that the guesstimate was established prior to the XT, and was likely heavily dependent on the optimum situation.
Note the ‘your mileage may vary’ qualifier:

• A new set of non-rechargeable AA lithium batteries should last for a total of 40,000 seconds of motion-activated video and/or live video. We define standard or typical use as approximately 10, 5-second video events per day.

Especially on the XTs, there are way to many variables that trash the estimated battery life.

1 Like

Thanks DP Christman for sharing the Naked Truth of the matter.

I’m going on the same batteries for 9 months in the first 2 cameras I got around November, got a 3rd in March still on the same batteries. And a 4th cam I think I got around April has the same batteries.

I dunno if I’ll make it to two years but I would say I’ll probably make it a year and that’s more then good to me, considering these things were running in -20F weather on batteries.

2 Likes

To me, the selling point is the absolute “wirelessness” of the system, not the length of the battery life

2 Likes

Since Blink recommended Energizer ULTRA Lithium batteries I did some research as to why. They are the most expensive batteries that’s available so I wanted to know why I’m forced to buy these $1.50 or so batteries. This is what I found and why a meter showing remaining power is useless. The Lithiums have about twice as much power as the other alkaline or rechargeable batteries but they use them up at the same RATE as the other batteries; hence they last longer. With lithium there isn’t a slow downward energy decay curve. Those batteries will work and work and work, and then one day they die. Lithiums are not recommended for devices that are mission critical; they die suddenly and you have no warning so to speak. A meter would be wasted. Now, I’ve done some research on other batteries that can be used. Rechargeable nickel cadmium? No. Rechargeable alkaline? No. Rechargeable lithium ION battery? No. Maybe Eneloops which are nickel hydrides and have a very long energy decay curve. Alkaline and nickel cadmium batteries have liquid chemicals inside and can leak, thus destroying your equipment. Lithium and Eneloops are dry inside and you won’t have leaking problems with these. They just emit gas so use in air tight equipment is a no-no. I’m about to test my Eneloops in Blink cameras. Won’t have time to report results.

1 Like

Thanks DPChristman. I just installed an xt2 on my front porch and there’s definitely a learning curve. At least the xt2 has the option to end the recording after the motion stops, so the record time can safely be set a little longer. (I wish they could lower the reset time from 10 seconds to around 4 seconds.) For me, I was having a ton of fun checking out the “live view”. I had no idea I was wasting the batteries. But as you said…that’s the nature of the beast for having a non-hard wired camera. I simply ordered a bunch of replacement lithium batteries from Amazon and will view this as a hobby. 10 bucks or even 20 bucks a year for batteries to have a fun security camera? I can live with that.

And the xt2 is a health enhancer as well. How? Well…the overgrown bushes near the front porch were triggering a ton of false alarms. So I went out the other day and really did a number on those bushes! (They needed it.) So yeah…there’s a learning curve. And yeah, I think it’s a bit misleading to suck customers in with a “2 year battery” claim. But let’s not forget…this is an Amazon company. 'Nuff said. Still…I like the product and have no intention of sending it back. I’ve purchased other cameras for the side and back of my house, which have solar panel attachments so they should always be charged. But there’s too much of an overhang on the front porch for that setup, so for me, this little xt2 is fine.