2 Year Battery Life?

Curious on what level of camera activity is the 2 year life based on? In other words, how many captures should one expect on a set of batteries? Once per day, 10x per day? Or just basic monitoring with no captures?

From blink’s FAQ tab-

Two years is likely Best Case scenario. So far I have gone over 6 months with my indoor camera.

You really have to throw out the 2 year number when it comes to the XTs.

First there are waaaay to many variables that can trigger the camera in an outdoor setting.

Leaves rusting, animals passing cars (depending on where you place the camera). I blew through my first set of batteries in 2 months, so there is a bit of a learning curve to get it right.

Also, IMO the standard use is based on a 5 second clip, which in a lot of cases is ridiculous (especially if you have a high re-trigger time). You will almost certainly not catch what you wanted to in a lot of cases.

I look at it this way. The fact that it is battery operated is incredibly convenient, and you are going to blow through batteries.

1 Like

First, you can not categorically make that statement. The major factor that effects battery life is the usage of a camera, not whether or not it’s an XT camera. I can place an XT camera inside my home, in a low activation scenario and get great battery life from it.

Second,

It is in fact not based on clip length. It is based on a total number of seconds used in recordings and live view as blink states in their FAQ.

As XT has temperature alerts, does that affect the expected battery life? Does the level of sensitivity also affect the expected life? What about the IR illuminator and intensity? How about the level of WiFi strength affect Do these features and functions also have impact on battery life?

1 Like

First read the other posts here. The externals trigger A LOT more than the internals, and the battery life was established by the internals. So to be fair, the correct statement would be External Mounted cameras, not XT cameras, My bad.

Second, Blink defines standard use as 4,000 5 second clips. My statement is that a lot people will be doing longer than 5 second clips.

Example, a 10 second clip setting will drain the battery in half the time, and a 30 second clip setting in one sixth the time. And that excluded live views.

2 Likes

Your questions are probably best suited for a representative from blink to answer. But I can say that blink’s interior camera also has the temperature alert function, so I don’t believe that it has a major effect on overall battery life, although any triggering event that “wakes up” a blink camera causes an increased power draw from it’s batteries. So the higher you set a cameras sensitivity, the more activity that camera will possibly have, and therefore use batteries more often than a dormant camera in standby mode.

I’ve said this before and I think it bears repeating - Blink cameras are not the best choice for high traffic areas unless they are plugged in. Even if plugged in you have to deal with relatively a relatively small amount of storage (but it is free!). They work well for the average homeowner and will be great once some of the XT issues are addressed. My 2 cents.

1 Like

That’s a great question, Bob! Camera usage varies between each user, and there is no definitive amount of clips or clip timing per day. As @Capn @DPChristman said, the batteries will last 2 years based on our definition standard usage, which is defined by 40,000 seconds of total recordings (including Live View). Cameras that are used more often will get a notification from Blink one time.

Both cameras have temperature alerts, which does not dictate too much into the usage of battery life. Keep in mind that whenever the camera processes a command, it will be using the battery to do so. Turning up the sensitivity will make the camera capture more motion, and there for use batteries quicker. The IR illuminator and intensity will also use the battery to power it. Weak wifi and Sync Module strength will make the camera work a little harder to send the commands through, which will cause the batteries to also drain quicker.

1 Like

Thanks @Claire_at_Blink.

I think there is going to be big market coming for the plug in solar capability. Is Elan Musk busy these days?
Depending on where and how you use them, you may be ok. However, once you start tweaking to your specific needs, you have to anticipate ‘depreciating returns’.
In theory (disclaimer: nowhere near scientific)
Based on the purported battery life,the expected life of the battery is 40,000 seconds, that is about 55 seconds per day over 2 years.
Based on very basic settings, this the guestimate of the average number of clips per day until the batteries are exhausted (your mileage may vary):

In reality, odds are no two users will be the same, and there are bunch of other variables not even included in this such as End Clip Early, Re-trigger time, sensitivity, etc. some days it will trigger a lot, some days not much if at all

Plus, how much you play with settings, locations, etc. will all impact the battery life.

It’s like when you fill you car’s gas tank, and it says 522 miles till empty. It ain’t 522 miles till empty because there are variables.

Going back to my initial statement, this is battery operated device, you are going to be buying batteries.

It is still a very easy and inexpensive system

Well said! …

I have been googling “energizer ultimate lithium aa”, ad there are some deals to be found.

I’ve gone over a year and half on my original Blink indoors … I’ve only replaced the batteries in two of the seven cameras. They were used outside and triggered about as much as the XTs

Very similar results with my blink interior (white) cameras that I received in Feb. 2016, now 18 months ago, as part of the original kickstarter campaign. Of the six (6) original cameras in use, four (4) are still using the original set of batteries that shipped with the cameras. You can’t be disappointed with those results! :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

My interior is also the originals (only since Jan 2017).

At 6 months, I am ok if I have to replace the batteries.

Also, after the first couple of days of just playing with the camera, it has been used as an outdoor camera ever since.

So, even with all the false alarms it is still going with the original batteries.

They just need to reword their slogan to “Up to 2 years of battery life” and it will eliminate this issue. Even have an asterisk if needed to say battery life will vary dependent on usage.

I am SO aggravated over my Blink XT! I have two indoor cameras that go off constantly because I have cats but the batteries are still 100% Bought my Blink XT on August 6th, it is now September 8th and I’m on my 3rd set of batteries! Unacceptable! Sending this camera back to Amazon and ordering a new one! Praying that it is a defective camera because I can not continue changing my batteries 3X a month!

What is the strength of your WiFi and sync module on the XT? Is it comparable to the indoor unit? Are your clip length and retrigger times also comparable between the two?

:cat2:

I think that if the cats are moving around and tripping the camera’s motion sensors, your cameras are doing what they are supposed to be doing. Replacing the camera is not going to fix that
Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity down, or aiming the camera higher?

If they mostly move on the floor, you can put some electrical tape across the bottom of the sensor, so that it only picks up activity higher in the FOV. This is something you have to experiment with.

There is actually a formula for how many 5 second clips = 2 year life. It sounds like you are stomping all over that number.

Somewhere on this forum is a good post or two about powering your cameras with USB power (if you are able to do that) - Just search for USB. A standard USB phone charge should work. Of course you have to have an outlet available, but it might be worth it.

:cat: