2.5 Year Old Blink XT Dead

The patient…

I bought a set of 5 cameras in December 2018 and another 5 camera set in January 2019.
I’m not sure which set this camera is from, but it is about 2.5 years old.
This camera has always been battery powered.
I have always used Energizer Lithium batteries in all of my cameras.
It has always been mounted under the overhang of my garage, completely sheltered from weather.
Given the high number of false alarms the other cameras send (bird/bugs/spiders) this is one of the less hard worked cameras. I don’t have to change the batteries very often in this camera.

Initial issue…

It was showing as offline due to a low battery.

Diagnostics…

I swapped the batteries out with brand new ones and when I put the new batteries in place and shut the door, I didn’t hear the usual click of the shutter and didn’t see the usual faint glow of the IR illuminator.
I tried another set of brand new batteries, still not functioning.
I checked all the other cameras, they are all transmitting and operating normal.
I cycled on and off the synch module, even though the issue seems related to the camera itself, still no working.
I turned the modem for that area on /off, still nothing.
I plugged it into two different USB cables connected to two different power supplies, with no batteries in. Still not working.
I pressed the reset button on the inside compartment of the camera, with the batteries in and with the batteries out, just to be sure. I both pressed it once and held it for about 30 seconds and released. Nothing.
Just for funsies I put the voltmeter on the old lithium batteries and they read 1.75 volts, which is still good. I put them in another camera and that camera works on the “old” batteries and doesn’t show a low battery message.
So the garage camera was never really low on battery power, it just died as near as I can figure.

Diagnosis…

The patient has died a premature death of unexplained causes.

Anyone know of anything else I can do to reset/diagnose the issue?
Or am I starting to reach the life expectancy of these things and I need to look for some replacements as the others start to die?

They don’t have a standard life expectancy that is specified. Some die early, some die late. Depends on how much they get used, weather conditions, etc. 2.5 years is 1.5 years after a 1 year warranty. They are cheap plastic toys in reality. There is no precision anything in it’s construction. And that is a big reason the IR filter gets stuck occasionally giving the pink colored videos and snapshots. Take a dead one apart and you’ll see how inexpensively they are made. Cheap to make = cheap sell price. Remember those cameras were only 75-100 bucks each.

Your big question is are you happy enough to stay with Blink or try out another brand. Believe me, having yet another new app on a mobile phone is no big deal. What’s the big deal is if you stay in the entry level market of home monitoring cameras, you’ll keep getting the same results. Now ask yourself, have I outgrown what Blink can do and I really want more AND I’m willing to pay more.

Or you could try calling support, and see what they say about that camera. It’s possible that their logs will say what the issue is. It’s also possible, though not probable, that they will replace it free of charge, or perhaps at some discounted rate. I’m fairly sure, but cannot be 100% certain, that I have had two cameras replaced where they were beyond the 1 year mark, so it’s worth a shot.

More recently, I have had an outdoor replaced, for a fault that I later demonstrated to a senior support agent, was clearly the sync module. The support case went on for weeks by email, until I finally got a senior support agent involved, and in one day he said, yes, we know about that sync module issue, with the very first model. We know changing your camera didn’t help, it couldn’t. We know the replaced camera that you still have works, so please feel free to carry on using it, as well as its replacement, and here, as a thank you, and as an apology, is a brand new free outdoor and sync module 2.

So, my issue, of a very early sync module, not being compatible with the new outdoor cameras, turned 1 outdoor camera into 3 outdoor cameras and a new sync module 2, and to top it all, I deployed the old sync module, with an old camera, by doing a bit of a shuffle, to make use of it, without issue, so even that still worked. It wasn’t actually faulty, it was just incompatible with the new outdoor and indoor range of cameras. Something that was categorically denied, over and over again, by the first agent I communicated with.

Anyway, my point being, if you’re nice, which I always am when dealing with support, and persistent, or patient, however you want to look at it, and if you’re helpful with your own fault finding efforts, as you clearly have been, and you get to speak to the right person or people, you can, very often, get a pleasing result.

I would certainly try until I got bored, which takes a while, lol.

Oh, one thing you didn’t mentioned you had tried, is to delete the camera and try re-adding it. It probably won’t work, because you didn’t mention seeing a flashing red light behind the Fresnel lens, and if you can’t get that, after replacing the batteries, then you’re pretty much stuffed, but still, it might be worth a try.

Having said that, don’t delete it until you have called support, because it might help them to have it live on their system, even if it’s dead. Various parts may not be dead. It’s not impossible, though admittedly, very improbable.

Good luck.

Contacted support.
Went through the “script.”
“Yes I tried new batteries, yes I tried using batteries from an existing functioning camera, yes I tried using USB power…”
Finally it was escalated and because I have 10 cameras and have had no RMA history, they are authorizing a one time replacement, despite it being out of warranty.
So I’ll get one shiny new camera and they will include a return address label to send the old one back. Hopefully they can get some useful info from it, but in reality nobody will probably even look at it.

It really is one of the least molested/abused cameras.
It’s completely out of the weather, not exposed to ants, birds, spiders, etc.
It’s mounted to the garage so no vibrations/wind like the ones mounted to trees/poles.

I have one that gets knocked out of the tree regularly by jays and woodpeckers.
I have another that seems to attract ants, I mean literally 100 ants and ant larva in there when I went to change the battery once.
I have to spray around the mount on the tree to keep them from returning.
Another camera would get knocked off the fence from people putting the recycling bin too close and then whipping up the lid before I moved it. That one landed on concrete a few times, works great.

Let’s hope that none of the others crap out.

2 Likes

Your efforts were rewarded. :+1: I’m not overly surprised, based on my own experience, which I described above, but am pleased to hear you’ve discovered the same.

Bound to go through the “script”, as you put it, but it got you got there in the end.

Excellent.

1 Like